noisy boiler/alarm clock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a problem with a noisy boiler(no, not the wife). when the central heating switches on in the morning the boiler makes an awful banging noise. when up to temp and boiler switches off no probs till temp drops and boiler comes on again. the noise is not as bad but still there.have service agreement but surprise,surprise does not cover noise problems!!!.
the engineer told us it is the casing contracting/expanding on heating/cooling but no help to us when our bedroom is directly over boiler in garage.

Sponsored Links
can you give the make and model of your boiler,and how would you best describe the noise and if the noise is not supposed to be there ie a motor then you should be coverd as something (a component) will be makeing the noise.

It's got absolutly nothing to do with castings expanding and contracting, if it was nobody with a boiler would ever sleep, complete load of wedding tackle. The problem is probably local boiling in the boiler. Put some central heating system restorer in the system and you will hear significant improvement in a couple of weeks. Also do a search for "kettling" on this forum.

COG may be right as it could be something like a motor or at least a driven component.

I may be wrong but its sounds like the pump is failing

It could be that because its idle all night it is sticking a bit in the morning and causing the boiler to boil and thus make the noise

get on to the service provider and tell you pump doesnyt seem to be working and see what happens

Sponsored Links
the boiler is a BAXI SOLO 2 (50RS). the best way i can describe the noise is like ROLF HARRIS,S wobble board every 5 seconds,starting loud then getting quieter until eventually stops(presume when temp reached).the noise definately appears to be coming from the boiler.thanks for the advice so far i wiil try the central heating restorer(er what is it,where do i get it from and where do i put it. we had a new pump fitted last year (not saying it can't be that though).

may be the fan

sorry mate this forum although brilliant is limited I without having a look oneself i cannot advise any more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back