Noisy Camray Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm looking for some advice about my noisy oil boiler.
It's a camray 3, and works fine but makes a helluva wirr while it's burning. I assume it's the fan in the burner.

Do I take the burner out and try and grease some bearings, or is it kaput? If it's kaput, can you still get spares?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Second post today about noisy burners :p the motor bearings are the prime candidate for burner howl.
John :)

Thanks burnerman. Your name suggests that you're an expert on this!

Can the motor bearings be replaced, or do I need a new motor/burner?
Cheers.

motor bearings but more commonly it is the fuel pump bearings

Sponsored Links
Certainly with a degree of confidence its easy enough to replace the motor bearings, but naturally it needs to be off the burner and any attachments to the motor spindle removed.
The motor will be in either 2 or 3 sections, so mark them in a way so they can be assembled in exactly the same way as dismantling (a permanent marker is good for this).
Remove all screws that hold the motor body together, and pull it apart. There aren't any brushes so this isn't too difficult. In each end casting, you'll see the bearing - sometimes the bearing comes out on the end of the motor shaft though!
Tap the bearing out of its housing using a metal drift. If you think its a bit stubborn, heat the alloy up with a hot air gun.
The bearings will have an I.D marking code on them, but its best to take them to a bearing factor - he'll measure the inside and outside diameters and also the thickness and supply new ones which fit back in exactly the same place in the end castings - it doesn't matter which way round they go.
So - two bearings will cost you around a tenner - a motor will be at least £70 on average.....its up to you which way you want to go!
John :)

Thanks again burnerman, I'll have a look at that.
And thanks snb, I'll have a look at the fuel pump too.

Have a good weekend.

It was the motor bearings.

Changed them this morning, with a little pressure from the imminent weather...

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back