Noisy central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have for sometime now been experiencing air problems as per this previous post

I have a Potterton Prima 60F Central Heating system - simple heating system with 16 rads each with TVR so no room stat. Had problems with air in the system for a number of years. Changed the pump approx 6 months ago and since then get a kettling/Whooshing noise above the pump in the feed/expansion area after the system has been running for a couple of hours.

Cleansed the system with X400 - no change.

The pipe work has since been replaced to eliminate air issues - was closely coupled H configuration. The horizontal section has been increased in length to accommodate t ing feed & vent pipes which are now much closer together and this horizontal section has also been lowered to approx 4" above the pump. This seems to have worked as no air is vented from radiators now - but gas is. Test resulted in flames from radiator bleed valves.

Whooshing noise still present but not as loud.

Decided to clean system again - this time with Fernox F3. After a week the expansion tank was black so bailed out before flushing. Flushed out whole system till water was crystal clear and added inhibitor. To my dismay still get the whoosing noise and build up off gas in several radiators upstairs on a daily basis.

The whooshing noise is only there in the cycle when the boiler is on and diminishes soon after the boiler has turned off. There are no apparent noises from the boiler.

As the weather is now warmer and the heating is off, I have experimented by turning all the radiators off other than thw radiator in the lounge. On several cool evenings I have ran the central heating for 4/5 hours with no noises at all which leads me to believe the noises only happen when the boiler is on for longer spells ie when supplying heat for 1 radiator the boiler soon shuts down.

I have since been into the loft to check the expansion tank and was surprised to see a white film on top of the water. Could this be scale from the boiler? Pictures attached

Do I need to clean again to once and for all clear system noises ?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Raise the fill/ expansion tank higher. As you said " fitted a new pump "
Ensure that the vent pipe is 450 higher then the water tank level

Raise the fill/ expansion tank higher. As you said " fitted a new pump "
Ensure that the vent pipe is 450 higher then the water tank level

Thx for response 75pete - vent pipe is 1 metre above water tank level. If raise tank then this measurement will reduce.

Any thoughts on what sediment is in the tank?

Hi there,

The gas that is building up in the radiators in being caused by your radiators corroding.

If this is happening very quickly, as it seems it is, then it sounds like your rads are knackered and need replacing very soon before they all start to pin hole.

Rico

Sponsored Links
Probably some sort of bacterial growth on a chemical that was introduced into the header tank and not pulled into the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back