Noisy check valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just converted an open-vent CH system into a closed system, and split into two zones whilst I was at it.

Currently, when just one zone is on, the radiators on the other zone start heating up - this is due to the first rad in the second zone being pressurised by its return pipe - this then pressurises the second zone supply, causing the others to come on. Seems that using a common return with the joins all over the place is the cause.

Fitted check valves onto the returns from rads in zone 2 - problem solved, not able to pressurise on the return line. However, they make a lot of noise if zone 1 is on at the same time. Anyone any ideas how to solve the problem?

Sponsored Links
take the non-return valves and pipe it up properly, instead of bodging it.

Not quite as easy as you think. This work was done by a so-called HETAS qualified engineer. But I was not happy with the vent positioned after both isolating valves, and an inadequate expansion tank, noisy radiators and frequent ingress of air. So one ting I do not do are bodge jobs.

However, this is a chalet style house, and the pipework runs in the eaves - so running any pipework is a problem, becasue the only access is a 12" square panel behind each of the exisiting rads.

Not sure what options you think there might be - most 2 zone plans show a common return, and there is no specification on where, or how the return from one zone should join the return from the other that I can find. Should it be at a single point? Becasue running a separate return is a massive job in this property.

Advice, rather than comment, would be useful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back