Noisy Cold Water Storage Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The cold water storage tank in my loft is right above my bedroom, when the tank was re-filling it was so noisy in the bedroom you can hardly talk, today i took the plunge and bought a new ball valve on the arm ( forgive my lack of correct terminology), i managed to remove the old one and put the new one on.

Its much much quieter in the bedroom now when it refills , only thing is it seems to take longer and there is really annoying high pitched whistling tone that lasts about five minutes as it finishes filling up.

Any way i can improve on that noise ???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of "ballvalve"........called floatvalve now ;) Like the old one- or one with a very small float hanging under the valve :?:

Ok Floatvalve :oops:

Well i guess its like the old one, its the same as the one i replaced which is probably the original from 30 years ago when the house was built, its largish orange ball (size of small melon), attached to a metal arm, which goes into a metal bit which has a turnable round piece on the front.

When its making the whining sound if you turn this round piece either way it increases/decreases the water coming out and either stops or just delays the whining for a minute .

It resonates through the pipes in the house and is loud downstairs now !

jesterhud said:
Ok Floatvalve :oops:

Well i guess its like the old one, its the same as the one i replaced which is probably the original from 30 years ago when the house was built, its largish orange ball (size of small melon), attached to a metal arm, which goes into a metal bit which has a turnable round piece on the front.

When its making the whining sound if you turn this round piece either way it increases/decreases the water coming out and either stops or just delays the whining for a minute .

It resonates through the pipes in the house and is loud downstairs now !
The round piece on the front should be tight ;) .......best to turn off the feed to the valve and undo the round piece and make sure the parts inside are in position ..then re tighten and nip up with a pair of grips.........sounds like a Part2 floatvalve...there is also a part1 and a quarter-turn ballvalve is a type of isolating valve now..........Noise is Water Hammer and might be cured by fitting one of the other types of valve I first mentioned.........called a Torbeck valve...........or if you have very high mains water pressure thru` whole house...fitting a pressure reducing valve on the rising main :idea: You may find more info in the Sickys?? or FAQ`s on the forum ;)

Sponsored Links
jesterhud said:
How does that Torbeck valve work, is there no ball ??
No, there`s a little float hanging down underneath...........inside :?: ...something eqalising the pressure .........like the old-skool equilibrium valve that I know and love, made of brass like the part 1 to [email protected] a lot and then you`ve got to add the fitting charge :oops: Not fitted those for a few years.Personally I`m no fan of torbecks but they have their followers........if you can get to the rising main stopcock...a pressure red. valve is £15.00 from PTS ;)

which r these torbeck valves of which u speak....i have only seen the ones for cisterns (toilets)
bottom and side entry...but the side entry one does not look upto governing a cwsc

id say no....

u need an air gap and allthou its a got a collapsable plastic bit i still would not want it in my cwsc. it just does not seem large and manly enough

some others might comment and have more technical reason for using it or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back