Noisy Cylinder Thermostat Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. My Potterton PTT2 cylinder thermostat control seems to work ok to start with & is ok when HW on programmer is on, but starts making a noisy drilling/ringing sound (& orange & green lights on it start flashing) when it makes the noise. It does this when the central heating programmer timer turns the hot water off at it’s set time. The thermostat’s green light was on indicating temperature not reached, but the hot water was ok. I set the programmer to come on for only half an hour & that’s enough hot water for me. It didn’t seem to be stopping itself so I ended up turning the boiler off at the spur switch (next to the central heating programmer) & setting the boiler to 0 setting & it stopped then. The other day it also set off the room thermostat & programmer with the vibrating noise.

I’ve been looking online for info as to what the problem is but haven’t come across exactly this problem.

I have a Honeywell 3 port motorised valve (raised dimple on metal actuator) – on the back it says V4073A 1039-7 & for head replacement it says 40003916-03

I tried doing some tests that someone suggested for checking a 3 port motorised valve.

1. I turned the power off at the spur switch & set the boiler to 0 (programmer initially still lit due to battery) TO RESET THE VALVE TO IT’S DEFAULT POSITION.

2. I tried moving the Honeywell valve actuator from AUTO to MANUAL – I felt RESISTANCE & couldn’t move it further than roughly the middle bit. The auto to manual lever stayed in this position It didn’t move back to the auto end). I didn’t try forcing it when I met resistance so maybe I should have done this to make it go back automatically then – I don’t know.

3 I turned the room thermostat & cylinder thermostat to their lowest settings. I turned the power to the central heating back on & set the boiler on low setting (which is what I usually have it on). I set the programmer to HW only – boiler came on immediate (without needing to turn the cylinder thermostat up – lowest it goes is 45.

The auto to manual lever on the Honeywell actuator was roughly just before the middle (where it was when I tried to see how far it would go before meeting resistance – I forget if I left it here when I released it after trying it when I turned the power off – don’t know.

Pipe to cylinder was getting warm/boiler still on.

4 I turned the central heating on & the room thermostat up & could hear the noises radiators make as they heat up. I couldn’t listen to hear if the valve moved as suggested as I had to go downstairs to turn room thermostat up.

5 I turned HW off on central heating programmer (put it on low setting where it’s normally off ). CH still on – set to continuous on programmer setting. I turned the central heating room thermostat down

Only the CH was still on set to continuous on the Potterton EP 6000 programmer, but room thermostat was turned down. I think the boiler was now unlit (not sure) because the boiler was now making a knocking vibrating noise. I checked upstairs & the Potterton Cylinder thermostat was flashing & making a noise even though HW was TURNED OFF at the programmer in terms of set times (& set to low where it’s normally off) – only CH was set to continuous.

Any ideas as to what’s wrong. Do I need a new Potterton Cylinder thermostat, a new 3 port valve, or just the actuator powerhead or is it something else.

Sponsored Links
..My Potterton PTT2 cylinder thermostat control seems to work ok to start with & is ok when HW on programmer is on, but starts making a noisy drilling/ringing sound (& orange & green lights on it start flashing) when it makes the noise. ...
You say your cyl stat has lights on it? That is very unusual. Please describe it, or post a photo
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

This is a typical cyl stat. It has no lights and can make no noise except a click
p4558281_l.jpg

I would suspect that the gear teeth on the 3 port valve actuator has sheared and needs replacing. Before you fit new actuator head make sure that the pin on the old valve moves freely. If not renew the lot.

..My Potterton PTT2 cylinder thermostat control seems to work ok to start with & is ok when HW on programmer is on, but starts making a noisy drilling/ringing sound (& orange & green lights on it start flashing) when it makes the noise. ...
You say your cyl stat has lights on it? That is very unusual. Please describe it, or post a photo
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Hi John try www.uk-plumbing.com/potterton-ptt2-electronic-cylinder-thermostat-p-42521.html - Cached

Sponsored Links
The orange booster light & the green light for temperature reached start flashing & it sounds like a drill/phone ringing. It should go off & not be on once the Potterton EP6000 electronic programmer switches HW off, but it's not doing this. At the moment I've switched everything off as it was still causing a problem.

Hello Spraggo

I haven't checked the actuator spindle yet for movement, but looking on the plumbing.com Potteron Ptt2 picture & info on the web address you put in for John - could there be a problem with the Potterton cylinder stat misfunctioning eg the booster button getting stuck. Would this cause the problem? The Potterton cylinder stat's orange booster neon indicator was flashing as well as the green temperature neon indicator.

I noticed on the Potterton picture web address - it says there is a booster button to provide one tank of hot water when time control is off. - although then again this wasn't managing to turn the boiler on when the HW was set to off at the boiler - it just made a horrible vibrating noise in the boiler while cylinder thermostat was on. What do you think?

It sounds as if the cyl stat has a noisy/failed relay.

Thats rather unusual and I would advise you to check the wiring of the system to ensure that its not carying the pump current.

Tony

HW was set to off at the boiler - it just made a horrible vibrating noise in the boiler while cylinder thermostat was on. What do you think?

Try and locate where the noise is coming from by placing the blade of a screw driver against the thermostat, the actuator or the boiler casing, with the handle pressed against your ear. The noise could be a relay chattering

Agile

How do I get the cover off the Potterton PTT2.

I switched the electric (ring mains - up & downstairs & water heating) off in the fusebox, removed screw underneath Potterton - front bit lifts up partially, but can't see how to get the cover off.

Hi
Just to say thankyou to everyone for your help/suggestions.

I bought a new cylinder thermostat which came this morning - on the assumption that the wiring would be identical (which it was) & have now fitted this.

I've just tried turning the HW on & then off at the programmer & it worked ok no noise/flashing lights from the cylinder thermostat & no noise in response from the boiler.

So fingers crossed it was just a faulty cylinder thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back