Noisy kitchen extractor Cowl Vent in strong winds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flappy wall mounted extractor cowl similar to the one attached, and in most cases this is absolutely fine. However, when the wind's up it gets under the cowl and bangs the flap about, which is really irritating!

I was thinking of making another, larger cowl with strategic vents to act as a windshield and mounting this on top of the other one- obviously still letting extraction happen from kitchen though. Or is there something already out there, or something that be adapted?

Thanks in advance.

extractornew.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I had the same problem.
I just put a couple of bits of light self-adhesive foam at the bottom of the flap.
In high winds, the flap is still lifted, but you don't get the annoying clattering when it's dropped!
...it may also be possible to experimentally add a bit more mass to the flap to see if that dampens the effect, without disturbing the flow?

Hi,

I had the same problem.
I just put a couple of bits of light self-adhesive foam at the bottom of the flap.
In high winds, the flap is still lifted, but you don't get the annoying clattering when it's dropped!
...it may also be possible to experimentally add a bit more mass to the flap to see if that dampens the effect, without disturbing the flow?
It is impossible to stop the wind noise completely from any type of flap just by the nature of the beast. As you say lessening the noise with a damper may help & I glued a large nut to the bottom of ours which helped. The problem is that if you stop the wind opening it then the extractor fan will not either.

Sponsored Links
I live in a windy location and have found this cowl for windy locations. It is 100m diameter though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back