Noisy pipes/boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read lots of topics on here and have tried everything and nothing has worked. I have a Worcester 24i junior combi boiler that is creaking and making a thudding noise. Gas engineer serviced boiler and said it was fine. Plumber then fitted a water hammer arrestor which stopped banging pipes but boiler still making noises. Have tried the following = reset boiler, upped water pressure to 2, lowered it to 1, bled all radiators, turned water off at mains drained all taps and flushed the water through by turning all taps on full. Nothing works. Strange thing is it happens all the time even when boiler switched off. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Yes, it doing it now and the central system was switched off at 9pm last night. I haven't used any hot/cold water since last night either

It seems to be worse late evening and early morning. I am in a terrace with a shared water mains but a friend doesnt seem to think that would make a difference

Sponsored Links
Late evening and early morning are usually times of increased water usage, and therefore pressure reductions in the supply. Could be slight movement in the pipework as a result of this. Check for loose or poorly supported pipework, anything that could move (even slightly) with pressure fluctuations.

Alternatively, the boiler, although it is 'switched off' for central heating, the hot water side remains operational at all times. It senses pressure drop in the supply (i.e. when a tap is turned on', in order to operate the boiler to supply hot water. Minor pressure fluctuations in the supply may be enough to fool the boiler briefly. Try turning the water supply off at the stoptap for a few hours around times you experience problems and see if things settle. If noises stop then there lies your problem. If this is the case then unfortunately your only long term solution may be your own dedicated supply from the road. :(

Hi thanks for the reply, the noise does stop when the water supply is turned off. So even though the boiler is switched off, the hot water supply is still operational - I didn't know this. What you've said makes sense then, thanks for your help! Might get someone in to check all pipes are secure. Not sure my own dedicated water supply is an option so looks like i'll just have to put up with it!

With a combination boiler, hot water is heated 'on demand'. There is a permanent cold water supply into the boiler, and (obviously!) the hot supply out from the boiler to the taps. When a hot tap is opened the boiler senses the pressure drop within the supply pipework, and operates the boiler to heat the incoming cold water as it passes through the boiler, and out to the hot tap(s). It's possible that pressure fluctuations in the supply at peak periods of demand are 'fooling' the boiler into thinking you are trying to draw off hot water. :(

Other than a dedicated supply from the street I don't think so. Terraces with shared supplies are still common, in fairness when they were built, the supply was sized at the time to feed an outside WC and a kitchen sink. Modern water demands are much higher, and especially in hard water areas, the pipe has scaled up over the years, further reducing the available diameter and thus pressure/flow to the property/ies.

Should you opt for a new supply in future, then provided it is run (according to regs) to the property boundary with the street, the the Water Co. usually connect from there to the main free of charge. You would have to get the existing supply capped at the point where it Tee's off to supply your property though to remove the 'dead leg', (length of pipe that no longer has any water flowing through it), to avoid this water stagnating and contaminating the supply for others.

If what Hugh has said is what's going on and it's a pressure fluctuation on the supply side to the boiler that may be fooling it then a single check valve installed after the mains stop cock should stop that fluctuation.

What Hugh Jaleak has said seems to make sense (although I am a complete DIY idiot so dont take my word for it). How much (rough guesstimate) would a plumber charge for fitting a single check valve? Is it a big job? May be worth getting that done if its not a big job just to try it

Turn water off, cut pipe, slot valve in, turn water back on and check for leaks. Basically about it, valve is about £5ish. Shouldnt cost you too much and deffo worth a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back