Noisy Pipes, Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat in a converted house. In the last 3 weeks I have been subjected to intermittent noise from the upstairs flat.

The majority of times when the tenants have a bath or shower I hear a banging sound from the pipes in my bedroom which can range between sounding like a electronic screwdriver to an industrial sounding pneumatic drill and is waking me up at all hours.

The landlord who doesn't live there is refusing to acknowledge the problem as the one time they came round the noise wasn't present. This noise seems to be getting worse. Any ideas on what this could be?

Just before the noises started they had a new radiator installed. Could this have anything to do with it?

Sponsored Links
Could this still be water hammer when the flat does not have a tank? I contacted a plumber and that his what he said.

There was recently a lot of work done by Thames water replacing pipes in the street. Could this have had an effect on the water pressure and be the cause of this noise? As the noise only happens when the hot water is turned on could this not be a problem with the boiler?

Thanks for any help

Maybe the trv on the new rad is not bi-directional and the cheapskate that the cheapskate landlord used to do it fitted it on the wrong end.

Sponsored Links
HI

common causes of water hammer
1.loose/faulty washer in the mains cold water stop tap
2.loose/faulty washer/diaphragm in the W.C
3.loose/unsupported pipes
4.too much water pressure(less likely)
5.loose/faulty washers in the taps

start from N.1 change/replace parts if necassary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back