Noisy pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have an en suite in my 3rd (top) floor apartment and over the last month, there is a noise coming from the pipes behind the toilet, which began pehaps once or twice per day, to now doing it 3 or 4 times an hour, day and night. It sounds like the toilet has been flushed without the actual water noises, like a gushing of air in the pipes(!?)
I have also experienced loss of heat in the ensuite radiator and now, the adjoining bedroom radiator has lost heat.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
could well be air in the system, noise behind toilet may well be where the pipes run.

Ah, thanks. What would need to be done and is it expensive to mend?

Do you have a combi or system boiler? Check pressure guage on boiler as a basic first. Should read about 1 bar cold and up to 2 bar rads hot ;)

Sponsored Links
Will have to bleed the rads of air, and more than likely top system up, it is'nt hard and its free if you've got the rad key.

start by is it a combi boiler :?:

:eek: need to learn how to type quiker :LOL: :LOL:

Its a gloworm 24ci combi boiler and the pressure reads 0.8. It says to "gently" turn the filling tap but I have just tried this, nothing seemed to happen, how gently do I actually need to turn it and how long would it be until it gets to 1?!?

I also had a look at bleeding the radiators but the valve is at the bottom, surely that would leak out water!?

Thanks

Is it 0.8 when the rads cold or hot. If when hot then your pressure is way too low ;)

fill a little bit more till you here water moving.
bleed rads via bleed nipple top left/righthand corner

Try increasing to 1.2 bar, then bleed rads, then top up back to 1.2, although most combis at 0.8 wouldn't exect this fault, but then it is a glow worm :rolleyes:

There are no nipples :eek: on the top of my radiators...... and I'll get back to my filling tap...excuse me a mo....

OK...just turned the filling tap 2-3 turns, only heard a clunk, no moving water noises, no pressure increase and then some cold water has started dripping from inside the boiler!!

Am I being a typical rubbish at DIY female? (cos I assure you I am usually quite good at things like this!!) :oops:

Any suggestions!!??

Shouldn't have water dripping in boiler :eek: Can you see where it is coming from :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back