Noisy radiator, leaking valve - BG Homecare Visit (bg been)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have a leaking valve on our bedroom radiator, which is also very noisy when it comes on and sometimes just when it is in use! It is like a loud tapping, whooshing noise.. general radiator noises!

We have a combi boiler and when we turn on the hot water and the heating is on, there is quite a loud noise as the water stops and starts being fed to the radiators etc...and the bedroom radiator or the pipes to it rattle a bit. (hope that makes sense, I am female so bear with me!) - not sure what this means?

We have BG coming out tomorrow as we have a Homecare 200 agreement with them. I've been reading up and I'm prepared for them saying we need a power flush for the system, do you think this probably is the answer or is it a problem with the individual radiator. If it is just the radiator, would BG replace it?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Its on the side without a the thermostat control that is leaking, so no, it just has a cap on it? The radiator does have a trv valve on it though.

Sorry if I'm very vague!

I'm a bit concerned we might get them saying if you don't have the powerflush you can't have the cover, heard they have done that to people in the past.

Sponsored Links
Seems to be the end near the leak I guess... Its hard to tell because its just a general creaking and whooshing sound throughout the radiator. We were going to just replace the radiator, but thought perhaps BG might be able to help before we do that.

The problem will not be "the radiator" !

It will be associated with the valve or its setting or some debris lodged there.

Tony

The problem will not be "the radiator" !

It will be associated with the valve or its setting or some debris lodged there.

Tony

Thank you, so will they recommend a power flush if there is debris in the radiator? Or is it fixable another way?

Would this be reason for the other problems too?

I'm not surprised that you are expecting a Powerflush Required statement after all the biased reports on here.Let the BG engineer do his job and repair/replace leaking rad valve and he will refill and vent and repressurise system and test it.I'm suspecting the noise will no longer be a problem.As with all noise faults it cannot be diagnosed from 100 miles away!

I'm not surprised that you are expecting a Powerflush Required statement after all the biased reports on here.Let the BG engineer do his job and repair/replace leaking rad valve and he will refill and vent and repressurise system and test it.I'm suspecting the noise will no longer be a problem.As with all noise faults it cannot be diagnosed from 100 miles away!

Thank you for your advice... :)

I doubt he/she will quote you for a flush due to a TRV noise, if he replaced the trv and your water is a black treacle like substance he may well do, let us know the diagnosis :cool:

knocking, creaking noises in heating systems is usually down to poorly installed pipework under floors.

Thanks gents..!

I think you are right on the poorly fitted pipework, the pipe leading to the leak in question is moveable, do you think if they are secured it may help?

We are redecorating in the new year so we will probably take up carpet etc anyway.

Thanks gents..!

I think you are right on the poorly fitted pipework, the pipe leading to the leak in question is moveable, do you think if they are secured it may help?

We are redecorating in the new year so we will probably take up carpet etc anyway.

Hello.... well BG have been, only a short visit. Replaced the trv and repacked the other end which was leaking too. Didn't think it was debris or such like in the radiator, more pipework knocking against each other or poorly fitted causing noise transfer to the radiator. So next step is for us to take carpet, floorboards up etc and have a look and then get some lagging down whereever the offending pipes are..!

All in all a painless and helpful visit from BG! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back