Noisy rising water main!

Er, what's the difference between a "wc" and a "toilet"?

Sponsored Links
My problem is with the cold water tank in the loft!! :cry:

Er, what's the difference between a "wc" and a "toilet"?

WC is quicker to type ;)

Besides ... If you always call a toilet a water closet you get less grief from the missus when you come home rubberised and pee in the wardrobe cos a wardrobe is also a closet :LOL:

JAD said:
My problem is with the cold water tank in the loft!! :cry:

Sorry JAD - I was distracted by some of the other postings. Here are my suggestions, in order of increasing cost.

1. Check the seat in the BV - sometimes I find that a low pressure seat has been used in a high pressure BV.

2. Partially close the service valve to the BV. If you don't have one then fit one.

3. Replace the BV - sometimes they're just noisy, perhaps caused by some rough bit of casting or whatever, but just buy the best BS1212 Part 2 BV that you can find.

4. Fit a pressure reducing valve somewhere between the main stopcock and the guilty BV.

BTW, you can't increase the pressure by constructing the pipe or outlet. Doing this will make the water flow rate faster, although absolute rate isn't faster - just like when you put your finger over the end of a hosepipe.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Softus. I shall give your suggestions a go.
JAD

.....or any float valve approved to BS1212 part 2, 3 or 4

That's what you need

I'm not a plumber so probably wrong, but when I had a noisey rising main it was because the rising main stopcock under the sink was only half open. This caused turbulence in the supply which made the pipes noisey. Opening it fully sorted the problem.

joe

You're probably right joe, but see my posting of on 8:30 pm on Oct 26.

Finally got around to buying a fluidmaster-type valve. Although it looks a bit flimsy I fitted it to the water storage tank in the loft and "hey presto", the noise of water rushing under the floorboards has all but gone. It doesn't look as durable as the brass fitting I removed but as long as I check it from time to time I guess it will be a big improvement.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
JAD

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back