Noisy rising water main!

JAD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer some advice? I have a standard low pressure system in my house. The rising main fills the cold water tank in the loft. The problem I have is that the water running through the rising main is very noisy! The track the pipe takes on its way to the loft is quite complicated (about 7 elbows) so I presume this doen't help. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's likely that noise is being generated by float valve that fills the cold water tank in loft. Does noise occur only when this is filling? Otherwise it might be caused by an isolating valve that is partially closed. What sort of noise is it?

Thanks for that. Yes, the noise only accurs when the cold water tank is filling. The noise is a sort of hissing/ rushing sound. I've been up to the loft and had a listen to the float valve and it doesn't sound too noise right there but it seems to be the same sort of sound! But I guess the sound might be amplified as it travels down the pipes! Do you think that changing the float valve will make any difference? Are there some types that are less noisey than others?

There are quieter float valves - Torbeck for one, but I'm not sure off hand if they're suitable for this application - but I think you should consider why the noise is being amplified by pipework. This is usually because pipework is not adequately fixed to walls, etc. Are there long, loose sections of pipework?

Sponsored Links
Yes, try Torbeck or any float valve approved to BS1212 part 2, 3 or 4. There are others with soppy names probably like Wispafill.
Also you could put some plastic pipe, or even a flexible tap connector (it'll fit) connected to the float valve so the noise isn't carried back down the pipe. Use a decent quality one though - the Speedfit ones are WRC approved I think. The copper mustn't hang on the flexy, it'll probably need supporting, something like a piece of wire attached to roof timbers should be OK, though that wouldn't be WRC approved...;)

Thank you again. I shall try a Torbeck and have a look at the pipework. It does run under a bedroom floor where I don't think it is secured much.
I will report back and let you know how I get on.

I have finally got round to changing the float valve to an 'equilibrium type'? and connected it to the supply using a flexible tap connecter. Unfortunately, neither of these seems to be making any difference. I am certain it is the hissing noise of the float valve! I didn't try the Torbeck variety as I think these are for toilet cisterns?
Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
JAD

pressure reducing valve on the rising main :idea:

Its an idea! There is a service valve on the flexible tap connecter, so I'll try closing this a bit first.
Thanks
JAD

That don`t reduce the pressure, just the flow rate.but :cry:

Yes! I suppose if you think about it, and I'm no fluid mechanic, if I close the valve some, it will probably increase the water pressure as its trying to squeeze through a smaller space. :oops:
Thanks again for your advice.

Partially closing or partially opening the service valve will not alter the pressure, only the flow and the noise.

Noise can be caused by a valve that isn't fully open - are you sure that it is?

If the pipe is not clipped then it can vibrate and/or resonate - try supporting it wherever it waves about the most, and also add pipe insulation to dampen the noise.

I've partially closed the service valves on all our wc cisterns and the house is silent, no whoosh during fill and no water hammer when the float valves close ... Takes longer to fill though :LOL:

I found the 'Fluidmaster' valve sorted my brother in laws similar problem

Thanks for that. Isn't the fluidmaster for toilets though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back