Noisy stairs

Actually, I had the case visually examined by an expert from the yellow pages, and he quoted £150 for doing the job, mentioning that it involved some screws and sealing. He said it could be done without removing the plaster, but just from the exterior.

This is why I ventured to look at all these web sites, with an aim to doing some diy and saving some money. I appreciate the difficulty of assessing the case without an onsite climb, but I very much value your advice as you seem to be quite experienced in it.

Sponsored Links
Me again,

I've finally had a go at it, and it seems to have been succesful. I previously measured the thickness of the vertical boards using a thin drill, and very slowly; 18mm. Afterwards I had countersunk screws every 22 cm apart, each about 2.5 times the thickness of the horizontal board.

The noises seem to have gone.

Thanks very much for your help in this matter!

glad you got it sorted frank

funny enough for some reason it had stopped giving me notification of reply so i havent got back to answer your points so i wasnt being rude :oops:
but the other boys and girls have done a good job as always ;)

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Frank 5 said:
I had assumed that the vertical boards would be as thick as the horizontal ones (1 inch). Why do you infer 6mm only?
Depend who and how it's made, I used to knock up 40 staircases a week and have use 6mm plywood for the risers.
:oops:
look at a structural beam the flanges are thicker than the web..
each does a different job..but together
the attachment of the flange to the web is the critical part..

the idea to get to the back is what i would take as good advice...but sounds a lot of work...usually the best solution is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back