Noisy thermostatic radiator valves..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the summer I installed TRV`s to a couple of radiators, Now the cold weather is starting to kick in I`m starting to have problems.

When the room reaches the set temperature the Valves start making very loud clicking noises - and the radiators stay cold. Before I fit them I ensured that they where attached to the supply pipe so I know that isn`t the problem and if I turn them manually the water is released into the radiator ok.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
"When the room reaches the set temperature the .....- and the radiators stay cold."

I don't think you meant that?
Heads aren't horizontal are they?
Certainly sounds like they're in backwards. Most are bi-directional these days. What make? Is there an arrow on the side?
Do they just go click once or do they judder?

check your TRVs they should have an arrow pointing in the direction of flow (hot to cold), bi directional will have two arrows usually

"When the room reaches the set temperature the .....- and the radiators stay cold."

when the room becomes cold enough for the TRV`s to kick in, instead of releasing water into the radiator they don`t and just start juddering as you put it, sorry if I wasn`t clear enough.
There is an arrow on the main body pointing towards the radiator, so I guess it`s one way - but before installation I checked that opening the existing valve released water into the radiator, as the other side did not, I assumed this was the supply.. am I right?

Sponsored Links
Actually just checked again... they are on the wrong side...

oops, I`ll get me coat!

cheers guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back