Noisy toilet flush, moaning sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - For the last while my toilet has been making an annoying noise each time it is flushed and the cistern refills. The toilet downstairs does not make any noise and nor do any of the taps in the house.

I've read numerous suggestions here and elsewhere that the solution may be as simple as replacing a washer, however as the toilet is built into a bathroom unit, it's really difficult for me to see exactly what I'm looking at very clearly. It's a float ball flush, but I've no idea where I should be looking for the washer to be.

On opening the unit lid I did see that there was a bigger build up of black crud than I've ever noticed before (I've previously fixed the flush handle so less need to look as frequently now). Since cleaning most of that away, the noise disappeared for one flush but is now back and seems worse than before.

Any advice gratefully received, if a photo of the cistern innards would be helpful at all, I can post that too. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
does the noise happen when it is flushed, or (much more likely) while it is filling up?

To test, take the lid off and hold the float up while you flush. When the flush is finished, release the float.

While you have the lid off, take some photos inside the cistern and post them here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot, Andy. I'll hope that the washer replacement option is straightforward with the limited access I have to the cistern from the top, report back with progress/success.

Sarah

You might have to undo the toilet handle, as it looks like it could be in the way.

Andy

Andy - yep, it's going to be a pain trying to get to it as it is, I'll get as much out of the way as possible before I start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back