Noisy unvented cylinder, poor installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, so recently we have building works done by all be it a not so professional builder or his employees, we had a new cylinder installed and all new plumbing the problem I am having is:
1. When the pump is turned on regardless of whether calling for HW or CH the vent pipe gurgles, if you watch the pipe as the pump turns on it sucks air in, but when the pump turns off it pushes air out with a trickle of water into the f&e tank.
2) The pump, ever since installed has been quite noisy, it vibrates a lot and you can hear it through the floor and the walls, it also makes a sort of air crackling noise on all speeds, the sound could be due to the fact they just drained the system so there may be air but it has been a week nearly.
I have attached pictures and a really rough diagram of how the pipework is on the CH side
IMG_20210303_231142.jpg
IMG_20210303_231155.jpg
IMG_20210303_231159.jpg
IMG_20210303_231207.jpg
IMG_20210304_002044.jpg

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is that photos of previous cylinder? I’m guessing it’s a thermal store, as opposed to unvented?

Is that photos of previous cylinder? I’m guessing it’s a thermal store, as opposed to unvented?
new cylinder installed last year in February. and what do you mean by thermal store? it's a hot water cylinder with a pressurised cylinder(correction it is an expansion vessel)
doesnt look new to me
brand new installed by builder last year

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
and it's an unvented indirect cylinder.
So why do you have a tank above then? Unvented cylinders don’t have them, thermal stores do. Did you receive a G3 certificate?

So why do you have a tank above then? Unvented cylinders don’t have them, thermal stores do. Did you receive a G3 certificate?
To be really honest I'm not so experienced in this field I have basic knowledge but with coronavirus, I can't get a plumber in, the builder also refuses to help because he says everything is correct. from what I know, and what the manual says (https://www.gledhill.net/products/unvented-cylinders/stainless-es/) that is the expansion vessel and is needed for pressure in the system.

again sorry I know I sound like a complete idiot but the builder who we had was very shady and paid off a lot of the inspection, he insists everything is installed correctly and I would need to pay for a plumber to come and see.

I would need to pay for a plumber to come and see.
This makes no sense, or is he saying if you’re not happy then pay for a plumber? Also can you post a photo of the cylinder label showing model. I can’t see how an existing tank is an expansion vessel.

Basically, the plumber who he employed he fired apparently because he had made to many mistakes, the plumber now works independently but sometimes does jobs for him, he says that all the plumbing is fine and if I want him to check it he will charge me to call the plumber, he said if I get any other plumber and they find issues he will not pay for them. So I'm stuck because I don't want to have to pay a big cost because he plumbed the system wrong. Anyways I've watched the model it's difficult to see because it's on the side of the cylinder but here:
IMG_20210304_020659.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
The white cylindrical part is potable water expansion vessel.

Ok, I stand corrected. I wasn’t aware that the primary circuit could be open vented. In answer to the post above, yes potable expansion vessel is fine. I don’t work on unvented cylinders, so was unaware of them being open vented.

Ok, I stand corrected. I wasn’t aware that the primary circuit could be open vented. In answer to the post above, yes potable expansion vessel is fine. I don’t work on unvented cylinders, so was unaware of them being open vented.
In terms of the problems I'm having, do you have any advice ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back