NOISY WATER SYSTEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when the hot water/central heating system comes on,there is an initial flushing sound .this occurs for the 45 mins on and off.what sounds like water trickling can also be heard.then around 45-60 mins what seems to be gurgling or bubbling happens with then maybe the bubbling hitting one of the radiators.is there an easy way to resolve this?
so far I have bled all the radiators as instructed on my other post with all of them now working a treat.I have checked the 2 tanks (1 small.1 large)in the loft and they seem to have enough water in them.also how much water should be in them and what one does what.both have a copper pipe that goes into each of them should these bee submerged or are they like a vent and suck cold air down or purge hot air out??
any ideas on how to fix this as I am sick of being woken up by the noise
thanks for your help
danny

Sponsored Links
Go into the loft while the heating's on and see if there's water coming out of the vent pipe in the small tank. It should be above water level at all times. There should only be about 10-15 cm of water in the small tank.

If that's ok, drain some water out of a drain cock or radiator bleed valve and check the small tank refills. The pipe from it could be blocked, leaving the system short of water.

big tank should be nearly full, small tank half full.
symptoms usually indicate that the system is soiled

when you say soiled do you mean full of sludge and how do I remedy.
thanks

Sponsored Links
chris, have been into loft and there is plenty of water in both,not sure where to bled from so did from rad bleed valve in spare room.have heard bubbling ? in system and water seems to rush through the pump is it on side of tank so think as you said may be blockage .what is best way to fix .there was no hot air or water coming from vents in loft

This air can build up over time, and make the circulation system noisy. Air circulating through the pipes is a common cause of noisy boiler. When the boiler pipes have a gurgling sound to it or when the sound is moving along the pipe. Removing the air should quiet them down and will improve heating performance. If you have properly install air eliminators and bleeders, the air will be scrub from the water and purge out automatically. If repairs where done to your boiler system a large amount of air may have been trapped afterwards. This can even prevent water from circulating at all even with the pump running properly until the air is bleed out enough. You can get more help at http://www.sandiegoplumberscompany.com/

Sounds very like a water pipe vibrating. I had a similar noise and I traced it to an outside tap who's washer was leaking very slightly, and the pipe going to it was vibrating.

Does the noise ever stop? For example when you flush a loo, run a tap etc? If so it is water related and proceed as follows.

Sounds very like a water pipe vibrating. I had a similar noise and I traced it to an outside tap who's washer was leaking very slightly, and the pipe going to it was vibrating.

Does the noise ever stop? For example when you flush a loo, run a tap etc? If so it is water related and proceed as follows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back