Noisy water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke up this morning to the boiler and header tank making noises like it is boiling without a lid on - does this mean the pump has gone and no water is being pushed through the boiler? or is it something else.

The radiators are cold but the hot water is hot.

We are having a new system put in in 2-3 months time and don't want to spend a lot of money putting this right.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hot boiler plus cold radiators is a fair indication of a duff pump. Listen to the thing when it's supposed to be running. A normal pump hums quietly. Dead silence means it's not turning. That might not be the pump's fault. Check to see if it's getting power.

Dead silence plus cold pipes plus hot pump means it's jammed. Look for a knob on the back. With the pump off, unscrew the knob and pull it outwards until you feel something slide into something else. The knob is now connected to the motor shaft and you can try to turn it. A small water leak from the unscrewed knob is normal.

If the pump turns freely by hand but not under power, it's a bin job. A new pump should cost about £35 and is not difficult to fit. There will be stop valves on each side so you don't even have to drain the system.

Thanks for that Felix, but we have changed the pump, turned the valve to manual, bled the radiators, you name it, we think it is probably a blockage of some sort but not sure what! I have to say when you don't have heating you realise how much you take it for granted :eek: and in this weather we are freezing :cry:

Someone said it could be the high stat on the boiler as it is using the header tank as a radiator - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
tt1200bb said:
Thanks for that Felix, but we have changed the pump, turned the valve to manual, bled the radiators, you name it, we think it is probably a blockage of some sort but not sure what! I have to say when you don't have heating you realise how much you take it for granted :eek: and in this weather we are freezing :cry:

Someone said it could be the high stat on the boiler as it is using the header tank as a radiator - any ideas?

repeat after me I MUST LEARN TO READ THE POST :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back