non breathable felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your comments please.
My parents house was re tiled and the felt used was black plastic. The loft suffers from terrible damp due to condensation on the plastic.
I have limited experience with rooves, but the ones I have worked on tyvek or similar was used.
I know it's exceptional weather we are are having, but the question is this: What are the advantages of plastic felt that made them use it in the first place?
My mum n dad have a large bungalow. I guess I'd like to be able to say the wrong felt was used. So to get the other side of the coin, what is your view?
Thanks for reading. Kind regards Andy

Sponsored Links
There is no need for a breathable membrane provided the existing roof had adequate ventilation. What ventilation has it got?

The condensation will more than lightly be down to poor ventilation, this can easily be solved by venting the soffits to allow a flow of air between the rafters, addition tile or ridge vents can also be installed. This should be the quickest and easiest solution.

The condensation will more than lightly be down to poor ventilation, this can easily be solved by venting the soffits to allow a flow of air between the rafters, addition tile or ridge vents can also be installed. This should be the quickest and easiest solution.
Isn't that what Freddie said...? :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Is the old bitumen type felt still available, it seems these problems are with all newer types of felt?
my house has been partially re-roofed. I have the original tar based felt on one half of my roof with plastic on the other and it's raining with condensation on the half with the plastic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back