Non-Expanding Foam or Similar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just a quick one. I have lots of gaps in my home around pipework etc that i would like to fill to stop spiders getting in. I think the easiest cheapest way of doing this would be a foam spray but i do not want an expanding one as i do not know what it is expanding into and am concerned it may push skirting boards etc off the wall. I would also need it to resistant to heat such as hot water pipes.

I assumed this would be something that is commonly available but it seems all spray foams expand multiple times there original size.

If anyone knows where i can get this or has any alternative solutions i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Spray foam is fine, creates no pressure as it expands so cannot dislodge anything heavier than a bit of dust.Just be mean with it, the 'fixing' foam expands less than the gap filler foam.

Spray foam is fine, creates no pressure as it expands so cannot dislodge anything heavier than a bit of dust.Just be mean with it, the 'fixing' foam expands less than the gap filler foam.

Erm, I have seen expanding foam (and PU glue) distort loads of things.

Granted, if there a sufficiently large escape point it probably won't be an issue.

Sponsored Links
If you are using glue the
Erm, I have seen expanding foam (and PU glue) distort loads of things.

Granted, if there a sufficiently large escape point it probably won't be an issue.
What fixed material have you seen it move?

If you are using glue the

What fixed material have you seen it move?

Years ago I used to work for a cabinet maker. One job, we had to fit the back panel (9mm MDF) after fitting the unit. He used batons around the perimeter to pin gun it to but was worried about bounce in the middle. He drill a few holes in the panel and squirted foam in. the whole thing bowed outwards and had to be removed.

I have seen it push skirting boards, architraves out, more so with UPVC trims..

I have PU glue push mouldings away because I didn't use enough clamps.

The issue is so common that one firm actually plays up the non-warping merits of its foam.

https://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/no-warp-expanding-foam-pr-6062.php

Years ago I used to work for a cabinet maker. One job, we had to fit the back panel (9mm MDF) after fitting the unit. He used batons around the perimeter to pin gun it to but was worried about bounce in the middle. He drill a few holes in the panel and squirted foam in. the whole thing bowed outwards and had to be removed.

I have seen it push skirting boards, architraves out, more so with UPVC trims..

I have PU glue push mouldings away because I didn't use enough clamps.

The issue is so common that one firm actually plays up the non-warping merits of its foam.

https://www.abbuildingproducts.co.uk/no-warp-expanding-foam-pr-6062.php
Thats a totatlly different application, I said fixed items [brick wall ,skirting already fixed etc]and we are talking foam filler.

Gaps are pretty big, several inches. Is there no such thing as a non expanding foam filler then?

You'd be fine with a standard expanding foam, as long as you don't go mad with it.

Once it's fully gone off, trim flush with a serrated bread knife, or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back