Non-functioning themostatic shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have commissioned a new bathroom and, due to thick stone walls, the water supply is problematic.
CW is supplied from a standalone cistern directly above (1.8m head), but HW is supplied from the shower take-off of a new, larger, stainless cylinder - replacing the old one. The problem is that this is positioned some 12mt+ away from the new bathroom.
Initial results produced adequate/good flows at the taps - but the shower valve refused to function.
I considered a conventional shower pump but discarded this - since the only location would be below the CW cistern and would require the pump 'pulling' the HW - as I understand it - not good practice.
My solution was to install a Danfoss UPA90 booster pump downstream from the HW cylinder.
The result is good (c12 lt/min) flow at the taps, but no flow at the shower valve at normal operating temp. The only way flow can be achieved is to crank up the temp - not a good idea!
The valve mfr. tells me that the pumped HW is 'swamping' the cold and will not operate unless the CW is pumped.
Can I install a single shower pump (ie CT55) on the cold - or do I need to go back to basics?
Any advice; guidance; next steps would be most welcome. Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back