Non load bearing wall removal - Making good after removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I am currently redoing my kitchen in my 1970's bungalow and have just removed the wall separating my kitchen and dining room for an open plan space.

A few pics from before:

w8qy4GN.jpg

KV7L4ax.jpg

And a few from after:

syRAMKq.jpg

FOvA85Z.jpg

I wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction for how I now tidy up what is left. I will be booking in a plasterer for the ceiling so not sure what I should expect him to do and what to do myself to minimise costs.

1) This corner leading to the back door needs to be made to a nice corner.

izZUBmX.jpg

Is there a standard method to this? Any products I would need to get a tidy finish?

2) The plasterboard ceiling.

xRgDAHU.jpg

I was hoping to remove the wall without damaging the plaster either side, partly due to possible asbestos and also to keep a neat edge to allow me to add a run of cut plaster board easily. Unfortunately part of the edge has been slightly damaged when removing the wall. Is this fixable or will the rest of the board need to be replaced?

3) For the gap left by removing the wall.

yDsAmAR.jpg

Is this something usually the ceiling plasterer will do or is it worth doing myself and just have him do the ceiling? What product is usually used due to the depth? Easy to apply?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
bmouthboyo, good evening.

if it were me, i would be considering the following.

Ceiling [the easy bit]
infill gap with Plasterboard, let the plasterer skim the entire ceiling, this will ensure a smooth seamless finish, ask plasterer about using scrim on the ceiling joints, lessens the possibility of future cracking.

Note that there is Artex on the kitchen side of the ceiling, this material can contain Asbestos? consider testing? because to achieve a reasonable flat finish at least the "tips" of the Artex should / will require to be removed.

External wall [image 3] suggest, remove remaining wall tiles, infill gap with plasterboard held on by Dot / Dab? then scrim [as above] and skim the entire wall.

Corner at rear door [image 1] suggest you discuss "options" with plasterer? how about several layers of plaster + insert a corner bead?

As for who does what? the insertion by you of some plasterboard will not to any huge amount be reflected in the cost of what the plasterer needs to do, after all his main work will be in skimming ceiling and walls, you may wish to consider removing the wall tiles ?

Ken.

As above, the whole lot is bread and butter stuff for a plasterer, so if you’re worried about any of it being outside their remit it won’t be. Or, if you want to save cost, then bonding/hardwall/browning plaster to fill the deep bits and fill the ceiling gap with (supported) board. Won’t be saving much tho, couple of hours work for the spread.
Alternative to messing with the artex is to overboard the ceiling (which you could DIY). Bit more cost but better acoustics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back