Non notifiable diy work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so confusing looking up various posts and peoples opinions on this ,
is there a black and white answer to this , can I add a fused spur from a ring from bedroom to my loft and add a few sockets , and connect a light from one of the roses already in the loft from bedroom below as diy , and don’t need any certification ( I understand best left to qualified electrician) but am I allowed to do this under current rules /regs as looking at some council sites it states yes ?

Sponsored Links
Be aware each region England, Wales etc has different rules as far as the law goes. But the regulations are not law, but can be used in a court of law, and the regulations define a "Competent person. A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others." if you are not competent you should not do the work. So regulations wise if you have the knowledge then you are classed as an electrician, there is no exam or test which makes one an electrician, although having the bits of paper makes it easier to show others that you have the skill.

So any work done is split into three sections, design, installation, and finally inspection and testing. It is the inspection and testing where the DIY guy in the main falls down. There was a case on the death of Emma Shaw where the courts rules an electricians mate did not have the skill set to do the inspection and testing, so the foreman was found guilty for using unskilled labour. So was responsible for her death. I am not saying I agree with the court, but the case resulted in reduced use of electricians mates.

Even as an electrician in my own home I don't have the meters required to complete a minor works certificate or an insulation certificate, and every job should have one or the other completed, what I lack is a meter to measure the time it takes for a RCD to trip, and a meter to directly measure the loop impedance, I can measure resistance and calculate the loop impedance from the readings give on existing certificates, and I can measure insulation resistance, but the full test set would cost around £60 even to hire, to buy looking at around £500, since they need calibrating these test instruments always belonged to the firms I worked for, I could borrow a set from work or my son, but I don't have them at home, so technically I can't complete the minor works certificate so should not do the job.

However we all know I will do the work in my own home, and I have enough experience to know when I am sailing close to the wind and I need to hire, and when it is extremely unlikely I am out of the permitted limits. However if I make a mistake and some one goes to hospital as a result the hospital is duty bound to report it to HSE and they could pay you a visit and ask to see the paperwork, and inspect themselves to work out how the accident happened, if work related then they may visit, if not work related unlikely unless a death has resulted.

So postman, social workers, gardener, plumber, etc clearly do visit your home, and if the get a shock it is in their place of work, so electricity at work regulations kick in. But keeping strictly within the rules or law we would never move, or at least not exceed the 20 MPH speed limit through built up areas, can't even go to the loo without paperwork.

So you have to decide how much you feel safe doing. if every one kept to the rules this forum would not exist, I will fill in a minor works certificate at work, but never bother at home, I will test of course, but not all the tests the rule books say I should do. I know how to prove dead, but rarely follow the procedure to the letter, I have a portable power supply so I could use that and a proving unit, but I don't only one job have I ever been required to carry the proving unit and voltage tester around with me, we all break the rules to some extent.

So what I am saying is the most important thing is to use common sense, may be the wrong name, as not very common.

In short, yes you can do it but you wont ever know you've done it correctly if you dont have a multi function tester.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your time ericmarc understood and appreciated .
And Pete there is that of course I’ve added sockets in my houses before and never tested or anything I doubt many do tbh when they add a socket or change location of light in an ideal world I’d pay professionals everytime , but il look into doing this myself I think .
Cheers all

Thanks for your time ericmarc understood and appreciated .
And Pete there is that of course I’ve added sockets in my houses before and never tested or anything I doubt many do tbh when they add a socket or change location of light in an ideal world I’d pay professionals everytime , but il look into doing this myself I think .
Cheers all
Go for it, I would.

is there a black and white answer to this , can I add a fused spur from a ring from bedroom to my loft and add a few sockets , and connect a light from one of the roses already in the loft from bedroom below as diy
Yes.

, and don’t need any certification
No, strictly speaking. You can fill out the certificate.

( I understand best left to qualified electrician) but am I allowed to do this under current rules /regs as looking at some council sites it states yes ?
Yes, anyone can do electrical work - BUT you are supposed to do it the same as an electrician would.

Is there actually a requirement for a certificate if it’s non notifiable work ? I understand a qualified electrician Doing work for a customer should cert as your paying a professional.

Is there actually a requirement for a certificate if it’s non notifiable work ? I understand a qualified electrician Doing work for a customer should cert as your paying a professional.
Nothing to do with notifiable or not. All work.

As others have said, you are supposed to test the work, as an electrician would, so you may as well write down the results which would in effect be a certificate.

As you say, most DIYers probably don't do this because they can't so if you are going to do the work anyway, why are you bothering to ask what you should do?

Out of curiosity, what tests would the DIY'r need to do (if they had the equipment) on something like this?

I suspect earth (cpc) continuity & resistance, polarisation check, insulation resistance - what else?

So an expensive MFT is not actually required, just a megger for insulation resistance, a plug in polarity tester and a resistance meter that will measure low ohms (won't a megger do this? )?

So an expensive MFT is not actually required, just a megger for insulation resistance,
Not sure what you mean. My second hand MFT was relatively (very) cheap.

There are separate devices to do individual tests; whether the collective price is less than a MFT depends.

a plug in polarity tester and a resistance meter that will measure low ohms (won't a megger do this? )?
Yes, but what about all the rest of the tests?

What do you mean? Megger is a brand including very expensive meters.

A megger/insulation resistance tester.
Many also have resistance tests, the one I am following on ebay does.

1. resistance meter.
2. resistance meter.
3. resistance meter.
4. insulation resistance tester
5. insulation resistance tester (what is "site applied insulation" actually referring to?)
6. visual check.
7. visual check.
8. How can you test for for this if they are non conductive? surely this is visual?
9. plug in polarity tester.
10/11. I don't see an earth electrode test required here.
12. this is the same as 9.
13. I would expect this to have already been done as part of the original installation, surely you would not do this again when adding a spur?
14. push the button on the RCD (if it worked before why would it not work now?)
15. manual check, flick switches etc.

If not, please explain further why and what should be done, what is absolutly nessasary when simplay adding a spur and some sockets off of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back