Non-notifiable work - extending a ring

That would be strange, since as a civil, rather than criminal matter, the plod wouldn't get involved</pedant>
What makes violation of the legislated Building Regulations 2010 (which includes 'Part P') a civil, rather than criminal, matter? The legislation talks a fair bit about 'offences'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All true. However, continuing that analogy, I have in my time have undertaken extensive work on, for example, car braking systems - all the way up to completely replacing a braking system. I've had the knowledge, skill and all the appropriate tools to undertake that work, but I have never had a means of formally testing the braking system after the work was completed.
Mmm. That's not quite the same, is it?
Leaks, non connections and inefficient operation are apparent.
If done correctly then it can't not work.

I suspect you did the same testing as a garage would have done.
Are you suggesting that a garage would put it on the rolling road and issue the figures or even just ensure they were correct?

Did you stamp on the pedal? :)

... a braking system. I've had the knowledge, skill and all the appropriate tools to undertake that work, but I have never had a means of formally testing the braking system after the work was completed.
Mmm. That's not quite the same, is it? Leaks, non connections and inefficient operation are apparent. If done correctly then it can't not work. ... I suspect you did the same testing as a garage would have done. ... Did you stamp on the pedal? :)
I think it's pretty analogous. As you say, I was able to check for leaks, confirm correct movement of various parts, 'stamp on the pedal' and do a 'see if it works' road test - all, I would say, pretty analogous to the sort of basic tests which a DIYer could, and should, do in relation to electrical work ... but ....
Are you suggesting that a garage would put it on the rolling road and issue the figures or even just ensure they were correct?
Indeed I am (at least these days- - when I was playing with brakes the garage would have used a crude accelerometer on the car floor during a road test!) and that (together with all the other things, as above) I would see as analogous to 'proper testing' of electrical work by an electrician, using an MFT or whatever - which the great majority of DIYers would not, or could not, do.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back