How to notify notifiable work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a basic question but I think many will be curious. Could someone clarify how the system for notifiable electrical work actually operates? Assuming I'm going to do a notifiable job myself (DIY)and be a good boy and follow the rules, I understand that I have "notify" building control before starting. But what happens next? Does BC come round and check the work and then clear it, or do I have to get the work checked by an independent electrician, get his approval and certificate, and then send that to BC? If the latter it seems to me that many electricians may advise me to "for cough" unless they do the work themselves, or am I wrong? BTW, I'm in Scotland if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
Next is to point out that some electrical work in Scotland requires a warrant - it is not the case that a DIYer can do absolutely anything he wants wherever he wants....

Sponsored Links
That site has owt to do with DIY work.

In Scotland if the work needs a warrant then plans and a fee should be submitted to building control (regardless of whether or not a certified $cheme member electrician is used). What work are you planning to do and what type and size of property are you in? Also what local authority area?

Thanks for all replies guys. Skenk, to answer your question, I understand about building warrants etc and have applied for them before. All I'm talking about here is one simple but "notifiable" electrical job such as putting a fan in the kitchen for example. I'm trying to find out if I have to go through the rigmarole and expense of a building warrant for that or is there some simpler way as I suggested in the OP. Any pearls of wisdom gratefully received.
Reg

Not that I would ever condone or recommend such action on a public forum, but I believe that some people might just go ahead and do small jobs such as the one you mention without going through the rigmarole and expense of getting a warrant. Of course you would still want to be testing any electrical work and ensuring compliance with wiring regs and building standards as would be required if a warrant had been issued.

Thanks for that Skenk and of course you speak great common sense. But assuming I wanted to do everything above board, despite it being such a small job, do I take it that as far as you know I would indeed need to apply for a warrant and all that palaver?

Yes, I believe so, but feel free to fit a new boiler or shower as you don't need a warrant for that!

EDIT: Actually I've just checked and you don't need one for an extract fan either so fire away!

I will try and find the document online but it had disappeared last time i looked :confused:

Fantastic! Thanks Skenk for going to all that trouble. I've been looking for ages to unearth something similar from the Highland council but with no luck. As you seem to be in France je vous remercie profondement pour votre gentillesse. Merci beaucoup! Reg

:oops: I only understand the merci beaucoup bit, my French is shocking, i can just about order a pizza and say 'sorry I don't speak French, do you speak English?'

I do try though - hello's and goodbyes etc. instead of just talking at them in English and assuming they can understand (they really don't like that and no wonder with the amount of brits about)

Looked it up on babelfish - You deeply thank me for my kindness! :D No worries mate.

Hmm if only I could figure out how to pronounce that it could come in handy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back