Electrical work, notifiable or not?

11 Oct 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Brief description of prospective work:

Domestic garage, replacing 2 x GLS bulb lights, each with their own separate switch, with one fluorescent light with two-way switching.


One of the existing switches is a 2-gang, and the 2nd switch bizarrely is part of two-way switching of a porch light, which is nowhere near the garage. This needs to be removed and the porch light switched by existing front-door switch only.

Also considering adding PIR sensor to this circuit, which can be isolated so that the light operates as normal by the two-way switching (may need advice on this in separate thread).


So would this count as a "partial re-wire" and therefore notifiable under Part P ?

Or could it be considered non-notifiable, as per:

"Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit."

Or could it be classed as just replacement of one circuit, also non-notifiable? (technically of course I would be replacing 2 circuits with 1, and modifying another.)

If this work is indeed notifiable, as I suspect, I could simplify it to just replacing one of the current lights with the new one, but it would look crap, and kind of defeat the whole object of the exercise.


About me:

I have C&G 2330 Electrical Installations, and about a year's experience as an electrician's mate, mainly industrial sector. I would consider myself a 'competent person' and comfortably able to carry out the required work, but if it was notifiable I don't think I can sign it off as I'm not 'fully-qualified' and am not registered to any scheme such as NICEIC.
Sponsored Links
Not notifiable.

The kitchen & partial rewire thing is obsolete. The only items which are notifiable now are replacement consumer units, new circuits and anything within the zones of a bathroom - i.e. pretty much nothing at all.
Sponsored Links
Have to add new ring circuit to an existing single ring installation. Done paper load assestment (just over 90A with freestanding electric cooker). Breaker box is a MEM brand which is almost impossible to get an extra 32A RCBO breaker for (recently bought complete Wylex breaker-box replacement). Have to strip wall above breaker box to run new cable legs via 32A junction boxes to new seperate circuit (kitchen sockets) also making up an existing ring bridge amendment to where the kitchen sockets were originally wired . New flooring/wallboard will be required (will be screwed in place) and multiple socket spurs(a defect even under 1989 regs amendment) will be bridged/linked in. Using sockets on cooker and immersion/heating circuits for powering tools. Got in touch with a local electrician (said I knew what I was doing) and got a kewcheck installation test meter (£487). Saftey paperwork still bothers me as I am only part qualified as well as making good cosmetic decoration.
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local