Non notifiable diy work

Nothing to do with notifiable or not. All work.

As others have said, you are supposed to test the work, as an electrician would, so you may as well write down the results which would in effect be a certificate.

As you say, most DIYers probably don't do this because they can't so if you are going to do the work anyway, why are you bothering to ask what you should do?
Firstly I said I’m looking into doing this myself plus I’m bothering to ask as this is a forum for questions and we can all learn ? If I’m wrong please correct me but either way enjoy your day

Sponsored Links
Where does it say in regs or otherwise about testing as an electrician would etc? , can only find snippets of this but in regards to building control/notifiable work , can’t seem to find it in direct relation to diy non notifiable works maybe searching for so long is doing me no favours .

Firstly I said I’m looking into doing this myself plus I’m bothering to ask as this is a forum for questions and we can all learn ? If I’m wrong please correct me but either way enjoy your day
Yes, but you don't seem willing to accept that electrical work must be tested and you are not able to do it

I am not saying that you and millions of others do not do work without testing; that's how it is; but there is no point asking what you should do.

Nothing is statutory except Part P of The Building Regulations and Regulation 12 which lists notifiable work.

1699022793300.png

Can you ensure that without testing?

Where does it say in regs or otherwise about testing as an electrician would etc?
Part 6 of The Wiring Regulations.

, can only find snippets of this but in regards to building control/notifiable work , can’t seem to find it in direct relation to diy non notifiable works maybe searching for so long is doing me no favours .
That is because you do not seem to realise that DIY and non-notifiable are nothing to do with each other.

All work is allowed to be done by what we mean as DIY.

Some work is notifiable. Whether by DIY or by electricians is immaterial..

A megger/insulation resistance tester.
Yes but what about all the other tests?
Many also have resistance tests, the one I am following on ebay does.
I am sorry but I do not follow - also in addition to what?

Lots of different meters do lots of different things.

Plus Megger is no different to other makes apart from usually more expensive.

I did say if applicable
1. resistance meter.
2. resistance meter.
3. resistance meter.
Yes - called continuity rightly or wrongly.
4. insulation resistance tester
Yes.
5. insulation resistance tester (what is "site applied insulation" actually referring to?)
N/A
6. visual check.
7. visual check.
Yes.
8. How can you test for for this if they are non conductive? surely this is visual?
N/A
9. plug in polarity tester.
No, these are dead tests so continuity test.
10/11. I don't see an earth electrode test required here.
N/A then
12. this is the same as 9.
But now it is live.
13. I would expect this to have already been done as part of the original installation, surely you would not do this again when adding a spur?
Yes, from the spur socket - or light - or cooker - or shower - whatever.
You have no knowledge of the original installation.
14. push the button on the RCD (if it worked before why would it not work now?)
You need to make sure the the disconnection times are within limits so you need an RCD tester.
15. manual check, flick switches etc.
Ok.
If not, please explain further why and what should be done, what is absolutly nessasary when simplay adding a spur and some sockets off of it?
1, 3, 4, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15.

So you need a MFT or separate Insulation/continuity, Loop Impedance, and RCD testers.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you don't seem willing to accept that electrical work must be tested and you are not able to do it

I am not saying that you and millions of others do not do work without testing; that's how it is; but there is no point asking what you should do.

Nothing is statutory except Part P of The Building Regulations and Regulation 12 which lists notifiable work.

View attachment 319557

Can you ensure that without testing?

Part 6 of The Wiring Regulations.

That is because you do not seem to realise that DIY and non-notifiable are nothing to do with each other.

All work is allowed to be done by what we mean as DIY.

Some work is notifiable. Whether by DIY or by electricians is immaterial..
I’ve haven’t not accepted anything I’ve asked a couple of questions , my plan before this forum was to consider doing the work myself and you pointing out the diy /notifiable is the reason like minded people use the forum to get your and others professional knowledge , it’s not very clear as said in original post but thank you for pointing me in the direction of the regs I shall look in detail .
Thanks for your input and apologies if any wires crossed ( excuse the pun ) I shall continue to plan my next move .

I personally have been naughty when it comes to electrics but I had my reasons, I did the following without "Notifying anyone"

1. installed EV charger
2. installed second consumer unit, for the shed, AC, and EV charger
3. installed new consumer unit for whole house using Hager afdd-rcbo's
4. rewiring

before learning anything about electrics I did the right thing by contacting so called qualified electricians, and every single time i got bitten in the *** and in some cases I was left with a dangerous situation where my house could have burned down because a silly so called qualified electrician messed up so I got fed up, after the 4th time I decided to take things into my own hands.

in summary, if you are confident/wise and willing to learn the science behind things and have the attitude to do a perfect job then go for it ! just remember electricity can kill so be extra safe! I got the electricity supplier to install an isolator for me before I did any diy electrics :D

I've posted a few times about DIY electrical work, mainly because I've done a bit on my house. I'm currently completing a large extension which will involve non notifiable work (extending existing ring and lighting circuits). Building Control came round and said I'd need an (unspecified) certificate.

I looked on the council's website, option 1 is work done, certified and notified via a scheme and this is the DIY option, it doesn't seem to differentiate between notifiable and non notifiable.

Time for me to get onto my dodgy "drive by" electrician!

Screenshot_20231019-114643.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019-114627.png
    Screenshot_20231019-114627.png
    400 KB · Views: 23
Hi so confusing looking up various posts and peoples opinions on this ,
is there a black and white answer to this , can I add a fused spur from a ring from bedroom to my loft and add a few sockets , and connect a light from one of the roses already in the loft from bedroom below as diy , and don’t need any certification ( I understand best left to qualified electrician) but am I allowed to do this under current rules /regs as looking at some council sites it states yes ?

If easier, you could add an additional switched spur, either before, or after the one you mention, fit a 5amp fuse, and feed your lighting circuit from that.

If easier, you could add an additional switched spur, either before, or after the one you mention, fit a 5amp fuse, and feed your lighting circuit from that.
Didnt think of that but is that a common way or is it preferred to run lights from the circuit already ?

I've posted a few times about DIY electrical work, mainly because I've done a bit on my house. I'm currently completing a large extension which will involve non notifiable work (extending existing ring and lighting circuits). Building Control came round and said I'd need an (unspecified) certificate.

I looked on the council's website, option 1 is work done, certified and notified via a scheme and this is the DIY option, it doesn't seem to differentiate between notifiable and non notifiable.

Time for me to get onto my dodgy "drive by" electrician!

View attachment 319566

You want to be telling your building inspector to learn how to do his job, extension of existing circuits requires no further inspection by anyone, he might want a minor works certificate which you can download and complete yourself but that's as much as he can do about it.

Just keep your fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong........If it does you wont be insured

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back