Non- Replaceable Carbon Brush tools?

Sponsored Links
Would it not make sense to be able to replace the brushes and keep using rather than throwing out and keep buying another one?

Brushes do last a very long time, and would likely outlast the machine. Whilst they say not replaceable, it maybe means not easily replaceable. Most brushes can be replaced, with a bit of ingenuity.

Brushes do last a very long time, and would likely outlast the machine. Whilst they say not replaceable, it maybe means not easily replaceable. Most brushes can be replaced, with a bit of ingenuity.

I just checked out my old Bosch drill bought new in 2015. It developed poblem of not starting when triggered. I was suspicous of the brushes and opened it ip. The brushes were still like NEW - I couldn't see any sign of wear on them. I put it back again (it was a bit of pain to put it back for some reason). And the drill was working again like NEW. I am still not sure what was wrong with it. But it is back to good working order, so was happy with it.

Last edited:
My stepfather used to work for a lift engineering company. He tells me that they used to make their own carbon brushes.

Perhaps Google it

I suspect that Screwfix just want to warn you that they can't be bothered to ask the Chinese supplier to send an inventory of carbon brushes.

BTW, a quick search suggests that they are available

Sponsored Links
I just checked out my old Bosch drill bouht new in 2015. It developed poblem of not starting when triggered. I was suspicous of the brushes and opened it ip. The brushes were still like NEW - I couldn't see any sign of wear on them. I put it back again (it was a bit of pain to put it back for some reason). And the drill was working again like NEW. I am still not sure what was wrong with it. But it is back to good working order, so was happy with it.

I used to have a Miele washing machine. It stopped doing the full spin one day. Someone here recommended checking the brushes. One was completely worn, the other was full.

I replaced one brush and all was good.

In your case, it may or may not be the case that something was preventing a brush from touching the commutator.

I used to have a Miele washing machine. It stopped doing the full spin one day. Someone here recommended checking the brushes. One was completely worn, the other was full.

In your case, it may or may not be the case that something was preventing a brush from touching the commutator.

Yes, possible. All I have done was pressing both brushes down firmly with a small screwdriver so that they could make contacts to the plates for sure. And that was it.

Last edited:
As an ex-armature winder I would certainly find a way of replacing them.
@spader and @opps, if only one brush is touching the comm then it is not completing the circuit and will fail to run. The usual problem, as you discovered, is to check the brushes and make sure they are moving freely in the brush boxes. Not every unit is switched on to test when it is made so the odd one could slip through but this is usually a fault with the brush box maker. Carbon brushes are made to very high tolerances which cover their exact dimensions, spring tensions and grade quality, whereas brush boxes are mass manufactured by automatic machines and are only randomly batch tested. Much more room for errors to occur and slip through the net. The brushes are often pre-fitted in the boxes by machine so no human intervention to check their correct fit on assembly.
By the way, it is always recommended to change all brushes at the same time, even if one of them seems to be quite good.

Yes, I had that on 'something'. The brush was tight in the sleeve of the holder, rubbed the sides of the brush on fine abrasive, and it worked fine after.

I put it back again (it was a bit of pain to put it back for some reason). And the drill was working again like NEW. I am still not sure what was wrong with it. But it is back to good working order, so was happy with it.
Could just be carbon dust in there, or glazed surfaces, or a poor contact between the brush and the power supply (pulling the connector off them pushing back on sometimes cures that) or the brush not moving freely in the holder (carbon dust again). Commutators also get dirty and tracked, so rotating the carbon 180 degrees sometimes effects a cure. Not up to @conny 's standards, but often good enough for a field cure! ;)

Could just be carbon dust in there, or glazed surfaces, or a poor contact between the brush and the power supply (pulling the connector off them pushing back on sometimes cures that) or the brush not moving freely in the holder (carbon dust again). Commutators also get dirty and tracked, so rotating the carbon 180 degrees sometimes effects a cure. Not up to @conny 's standards, but often good enough for a field cure! ;)

Great info and advice. Thanks.

Just had a response from SF regarding how long can I expect the non-replaceable brushes to last.
This is their reply:

If these are non-replaceable carbon brushes, what kind of life can I expect from the unit? i.e. how many hours/days/weeks/months of use can I expect to get from it before the whole unit has to be replaced?

2 Jan 2023
by
Twitty,
Bury StEdmunds, Suff
, Maintenance
Answer this Question
0out of 0found this question helpful.
Was this helpful?YesNo
(Report)

badge_productsupport.png

Hello,
Thank you for your enquiry.
This item Titan TTB811DRH 16.4kg Hex Shank Electric Breaker 230V come with a 2 year warranty and if used correctly should last you way past 2 years.
Thank you for contacting Screwfix Q&A
3 Jan 2023

0of 0found this answer helpful.

Just had a response from SF regarding how long can I expect the non-replaceable brushes to last.
This is their reply:

If these are non-replaceable carbon brushes, what kind of life can I expect from the unit? i.e. how many hours/days/weeks/months of use can I expect to get from it before the whole unit has to be replaced?

2 Jan 2023
by
Twitty,
Bury StEdmunds, Suff
, Maintenance
Answer this Question
0out of 0found this question helpful.
Was this helpful?YesNo
(Report)

badge_productsupport.png

Hello,
Thank you for your enquiry.
This item Titan TTB811DRH 16.4kg Hex Shank Electric Breaker 230V come with a 2 year warranty and if used correctly should last you way past 2 years.
3 Jan 2023

0of 0found this answer helpful.

Great info. Thanks.

My 2x Bosch GSB 18V-Li drills have lasted 8 years from NEW, and they still work great. The carbon brushes in them have no sign of wear. So maybe brushed motor tools are as realiable as the brushless more recent tools.

Reads as if they let the school boy on work experience answer that one

Mined ewe, if don't ever use it, the brushes should last forever :)

Screwfix answers to the questions are seldom helpful or meaningful actually.
But you get the idea what they will do when things go wrong. If still in warranty with the receipts, they wil hounour refund or repair. If not, they don't want to know about it.

My Bosch drills have not been used extensively. Maybe about once or twice a month for light DIY jobs. That's all I use drills for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back