Non vertical Soil Stacks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on a project where a (proposed) internal Soil stack clashes with a partition. It is being proposed that the stack is vertically offset from the vertical by ~5 degrees (300mm over 3.3m).
I am struggling to find anywhere within CIBSE / BS that mention offsets from the vertical. Does anyone have an insight into this?
My instinct is that a few degrees don't matter, after all many builders have cast in positions off between floors and it hasn't caused issues.

So does anyone know:
What angle for a straight running stack is permissible (if any?) or is it down to the BCO?
Should it even be mentioned to BC? OR assumed to act as a vertical stack?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Approved docs say supposed to be vertical with minimal offsets in the wet part, but i can't see how an offset and vertical would be better than a steady slope from a performance point of view. Practically
you'd have to watch out for cross flow as you aren't allowed to enter the stack on the lower half with a smaller pipe or even a bigger one if you couldn't get a fall, and all your tees and other fittings would come out at the wrong angle unless you went in the side rather than the top or bent them down a bit.

A few degrees off vertical will not affect stack performance.

Preferable to introducing 135 offsets IMO.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the speedy responses, to add to some clarity here is a nice section. There is a strengthening beam forcing the offset. 2 90 degree corners would IMO be a recipe for blockages. There shouldn't be any cross flow as all waste will be coming in from North or West (if that makes sense, 90 degree max entry to each other).
To complicate things it is proposed to be ventilated with an AAV as it is for a triplex apartment with flats above...
The stack is to have connections on all three floors, which I am of the understanding complies with Code.

Anyone have any further comments to dissuade or commend this to being a sensible (enough) proposal?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 172

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back