Stack pipe vertical/straight line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

Not sure if this is best here or on Building..... anyway.

Putting in a new WC, shower, basin etc. in what was the coalhole. Building Control want an additional stack vent- which is going to look very odd sticking up by a metre above the guttering (single storey building, window above where the loo is going)

Before I plague them with the question, does the stack pipe have to be vertical and straight? Reason- if I'm allowed a couple of 30 degree bends then I can use an offset to put the top of the stack pipe up near the ridge of this single storey building where it'll look less silly. I've had a look at Part H and it doesn't say no but it doesn't say yes either.....

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Rules are for the guidance of wise men.

If it doesn't say "no" then that implies you can install it as you wish provided it provides the desired function - ie a vent stack.

Cheers- and I've just realised, of course you're allowed an offset, I've got one in the existing cast iron where it kicks out to get past the eaves/gutter. Doh!

You can put as many bends on it as you like provided it is open to atmosphere.

However, if the main drain is already vented you don't need another, and I suspect he means a "Stub Stack with an AAAV" to protect any traps

Sponsored Links
If you do need to install a full open-air vent then you're allowed to install it in 80mm pipe rather than 110mm pipe, which might look a bit less ugly

Ta both- I wasn't sure about needing a stack, this new loo is draining into a separate branch from the branch with the stack (there's 4 branches all jointing at a manhole, all needing renewing at some stage) so (as long as I can offset it) and especially if I can do it in 80mm then its no big deal and certainly won't do any harm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back