Vertical waste pipe runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking at building regs H1 there is no mention of vertical waste pipe runs. The assumption seems to be that you have the sink/basin/bath then the trap, then a even fall to the stack. What about vertical pipe runs after the trap, say trap, 1:40 for 50cm, then 50cm vertical drop, then 1:40 to stack. Surely that's not uncommon where the stack is the wrong side of a WC and you need to get the basin waste under the WC cistern.

Are vertical pipe runs not allowed? Or just not advisable?

I'd think that I would be best to aim for trap, 1:40, then say 1:1 for the final section to stack so meet up with the opening.

I have a choice of 2 openings for a sink waste. I could either go trap, 20cm at 1:40, bend to vertical drop 70cm, 1:40 run for 1.2m. Or trap, 1:40 for 1.1m then 1:1 for 10cm.

I guess latter is the best pipe run although it would be neater to have the vertical drop which hides the pipework.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back