Noob configuration idea for best of both worlds!

Sponsored Links
I dont get this, why not feed the big things will the constant supply and the small things with a small cylinder?
A cylinder will give better supply of hot water and boiler need not be high output so at times existing gas line that supplied gas to earlier model could be sufficient ( needs prior check)

Be advised a cylinder needs healthy supply of cold water which is regulated by prv that controls cold water flow to cylinder hence water to your hot tap. Run two taps, regulator steps in to maintain tap flow, three taps run, regulator steps in ( this is the theory and subject to cold supply)

Combi boiler rated to raise cold flowrate water temperature by 35 degree C based on boiler output at any one tap. Limited to one delivery at the relevant spec

One reason would be that the "constant supply" may not be as constant in flow and/or temperature as the sales brochure claim them to be.

Can assure you the delivery and temperature are stable unless other taps run

Sponsored Links
A reduction in pressure in the cold water supply to the house can de-stabilise the temperature and/or flow of the delivery.

If the supply to the house is 15 l/m and combi is rated to deliver 9.8 for 24 kw model, supply not an issue

Rab’s post 20 is excellent, taking those steps should improve poor cold supply flow rate

Last edited:
They aren’t bad when running. It’s the spaceship whooorp noise they make when they initially fire that annoys most people…

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but what model is the noisy one? Looking at Intergas to replace existing boiler, and noise may be an issue.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but what model is the noisy one? Looking at Intergas to replace existing boiler, and noise may be an issue.

The newer Xtreme and Xclusive models are noisier than the HRE. If you want a really quiet boiler the ECO RF is the one to go for

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
The newer Xtreme and Xclusive models are noisier than the HRE. If you want a really quiet boiler the ECO RF is the one to go for
Thanks. That will be useful. Unfortunately looks like ECO RF is only available as a combi

Thanks. That will be useful. Unfortunately looks like ECO RF is only available as a combi

The ECO RF can be used as a combi, system, heat only boiler on a sealed or open vented system or a water heater without any rads. You just need someone that knows the boiler properly :mrgreen:

I dont get this, why not feed the big things will the constant supply and the small things with a small cylinder?
Because the flow rate is much lower through the combi than through the cylinder

Because the flow rate is much lower through the combi than through the cylinder
Yes…but the flow from the combi is more than adequate for a shower.. no? Bare in mind nothing else would be connected.

I think I’ll just go for the rapid, save the money and hassle with anything complicated and hope it’s fine for a shower and some simultaneous tap usage..

hope it’s fine for a shower and some simultaneous tap usage..
Yes, the combi will happily run one good shower.

Depending on what shower and size of combi is used, I think it will struggle with anything more than one outlet at a time without seeing a drop in HW performance.

That being said if it isn't good enough then the system can always be retrofitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back