Normal or Moisture resistant plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the proecss of gearing up to refit my ensuite and have taken down the existing boarding.

Should I use moisture resistant plasterboard or just teh normal stuff when refitting? I am tanking the shower area which will be tiled but the rest of the room will be skimmed and painted.

I ask, because the room gets quite high humidity so thought that maybe MR would be better?

Sponsored Links
In shower area I would use 1/2inch plywood,and SBR it and silicon the joints, others will tell you to use "Aqua-board," but I cant comment on them as I have never used them!!! ;)

ummm, I had a friend who used plywood and he had no end of problems with leaks as it expands and contracts.

Marshman - you say you wouldn't, is that due to plastering or just that its not worth paying the extra money for it (as shower area tanked and rest should be OK)?

I was thinking aquapanel but even that is not waterproof - just doesn't break down when wet, so if there was a leak, it wouldn't stop it from seaping through etc.

Plus its expensive and due to panel sizes means I have to joint it!

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of ply expanding and contracting and every bathroom shower over my thitry years in the trade that I have tiled have never had any problems!!!!!You have to seal the ply first,,,,,

I don't think he used flexible adhesive which could have been his main issue. This caused the grout to crack and therefore led to leaks!!

the cost really,
its moisture resistant, it will resist damp air but the plaster you skim over it will suck the damp in and dry out very quick if the room is properly vented,
if you use MR and the room isn't vented you get mould just the same,
and any leeks and it will suck up water the same as stranded plaster board.

I see your point. I can get MR board for around 1.10 more than normal so just thought not much extra.

I undecided if should board and tank shower area or use aquapanel?

Several different approaches here then :LOL: ! To add my 2p worth;

• For the minimal extra cost involved I would always use MR PB in a bathroom.
• You can either PB board & tank or use a waterproof backer board, either will work providing they are correctly installed. If you stick with MR PB in the wet areas, tank/waterproof it (BAL WP1) before tiling; my personal preference is to use tile backer board, usually Aquapanel but there are several available.
• Personally I would not use plywood as a base; modern, waterproof backer boards are much easier to cut, work with & fix & you can tile straight onto them without any prep work other than taping/sealing the joins. They also eliminate any risk of water damage & the cost is comparable if you consider no tanking or sealing is required.
• Use only trade quality adhesive & grout when tiling; I always use BAL.

Am happy to use MR plasterboard all round - not that much more. Just so undecided about what to do in shower area.

Either PB and tank (tanking stuff not cheap) or Aquapanel - but then slightly more money, and then have to join boards, and its heavier so not so sure about walls!!

Grrrr - why is there always so many options! :eek:

Richard C has much more experience with this and I've always thought his advice to be quite sound.
even if he has been missing for a day. :LOL: :LOL:

Yes,,, right Marshy,,,, he didn't even tell us he wasn't going to be here. :rolleyes: I hope he doesn't expect to be paid for his day off!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Roughcaster.

You're right he shouldn't be paid, no notice, I reckon he's pulled a sickie. :LOL:

Richard C has much more experience with this and I've always thought his advice to be quite sound.
even if he has been missing for a day. :LOL: :LOL:
Err, yes sorry about that, didn’t think anyone would notice :) ! We stayed with some friends Wednesday night in order to get a 5am start to the Ideal Home Show on Thursday, God knows why but you have to do these things sometimes to keep matrimonial harmony :rolleyes: . I was so knackered after 7 hours of walking around at a snails pace, I had to have lie in this morning; give me a couple of rooms to plaster any day! :LOL:

I am humbled by your comments :oops: but I really am quiet new to this game by comparison. I got into this out of personal necessity some years ago but it’s something I have both a passion & understanding for &, although I say it myself, I seem to be rather good at it; maybe I chose the wrong career all those years ago which has absolutely no comparison to what I'm doing now. I really can’t compete with the lifetime of experience some of the other regulars on here have & everyone knows who they are; I may question & contradict from time to time but my forelock is always pulled & hat always doffed to the guys that have given most of their lives to it; it is a dying art as is proven by many of the poor souls who come on here looking for advice after "Bodge it & Scarper" have had a go at their walls. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back