Plasterboard size mismatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

i am currently undertaking the refit of my ensuite shower. There has been evidence of a leak so have removed all tiles and plasterboard from the shower enclosure. The plasterboard used in the enclosure was 'normal' plasterboard at 15mm. On one of the walls i have removed about 800mm width of bad plasterboard, the rest is good. I want to refit with some sort of moisture resistant board but can only find it in 12.5mm. Will this shortfall of 2.5mm be able to be made up with plastering, or is there some way to space out the new section of board to match the old? I dont really want to have to replace the whole wall if i dont have to.

Sponsored Links
It can, but the plaster itself won’t be moisture resistant. I’d use hardibacker board or aqua panel for showers every time, not really sure what the benefit of moisture resistant plasterboard would be in a shower, as if there was a leak it would still rot.

I would still get the problem with the hardibacker as the biggest I can find is 12mm and the aqua 12.5mm butting up against my existing plasterboard which is 15mm.

Agreed, just pointing out the benefit of it over m/r board. You can build it out in tile adhesive (the powdered rapid set not the stuff in tubs). Or pack the battens with some very thin strips before boarding.
OR, use standard 15mm board, and tank it before tiling, which is what I do most often anyway, and never had a leak. Google everbuild aqua seal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks 23vc.
I might just go down the normal plasterboard and tanking route then. Next problem is getting them big sheets in the car, or on the roof rack! Haha

Tbh I’d still just use 12.5mm board if you’ve already bought it and make the 2.5mm difference up with a combination of tanking and tile adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back