Northamptonshire Council is going bust

And your point is?
If you don't think that's being a jobsworth then there may be something wrong with you outlook!

Next time I see a white van man chucking his lunch wrappers out the window, I may have a bit more understanding now...

The point is. He had such commercial bags, so he knew the system.

Like it or not, the system is the same for all traders. The victim wanted to be above the law, and had a sympathetic story written. Pity the headlines were not the full story.

All traders know about carrying waste.

Sponsored Links
I suspect we will see more of this type of behaviour as councils seek to raise revenues.

Currently it's being put under review whether there should be a buffer for speeding fines should be scrapped, meaning going 1mph over the limit will mean a fine.
Yep, I think that's all it is too. Getting more money out of us.

And yeah, heard that about the speeding. Crazy, stupid. We are all to behave like robots otherwise pay through the nose for human error.. or just being human.

Let me recap. Have I got this right?

One must obtain (for - was it called "lower tier" waste?) a free licence to be able to do what people are allowed to do.

The only punishable offence is not having this free licence when doing what people are allowed to do.

A bit like you must have a licence to carry your shopping home from the supermarket.

Anyone needing to quote something which is nothing but a council job creation scheme need look no further.

I think the waste carriers licence was to help reduce fly tipping, on the basis that a bona fide contractor would have a licence.

As a business we have to fill out paperwork for waste classification for recycling and disposal. Although I think that may be an EU regulation.

The point is. He had such commercial bags, so he knew the system.

Like it or not, the system is the same for all traders. The victim wanted to be above the law, and had a sympathetic story written. Pity the headlines were not the full story.

All traders know about carrying waste.
If you think it's acceptable to whack a huge fine on someone for not littering or getting rid of their lunch wrappers quick enough then goodness me..... :confused: Have we lost all ability to think fairly in this country, to use common sense? This is about as bonkers as traffic wardens giving ambulances parking tickets. Issued by jobsworths who've lost the ability to think.

What actual harm did he do anyone by saving up his packed lunch wrappers? As the bloke said in the article, why not give him a warning as he clearly wasn't carrying commercial waste?

Sponsored Links
Let me recap. Have I got this right?

One must obtain (for - was it called "lower tier" waste?) a free licence to be able to do what people are allowed to do.

The only punishable offence is not having this free licence when doing what people are allowed to do.

A bit like you must have a licence to carry your shopping home from the supermarket.

Anyone needing to quote something which is nothing but a council job creation scheme need look no further.

builder was recently fined 300 squid for a sandwich wrapper ect in the front of his van , A free licence would probably cover a sandwich wrapper but very little else .

Council jobs worths. Most of em are a waste of space. O.T does R bee work for a council :idea:

Yep, I think that's all it is too. Getting more money out of us.

And yeah, heard that about the speeding. Crazy, stupid. We are all to behave like robots otherwise pay through the nose for human error.. or just being human.

It's the idiotic idea of hypothecation of taxes / finances.

That public service providers are free to raise and collect fines in lieu of cuts to their budgets. It's a warped application of neo liberal ideology.

If you think it's acceptable to whack a huge fine on someone for not littering or getting rid of their lunch wrappers quick enough then goodness me..... :confused: Have we lost all ability to think fairly in this country, to use common sense? This is about as bonkers as traffic wardens giving ambulances parking tickets. Issued by jobsworths who've lost the ability to think.

What actual harm did he do anyone by saving up his packed lunch wrappers? As the bloke said in the article, why not give him a warning as he clearly wasn't carrying commercial waste?

I don't think it's about common sense. More likely is that they have targets to meet just like those at the job centre. So if your compensation is tied to the amount of targets you meet then common sense doesn't matter.

I don't think it's about common sense. More likely is that they have targets to meet just like those at the job centre. So if your compensation is tied to the amount of targets you meet then common sense doesn't matter.
And those types of targets should be made illegal and not commission based or bonus. Like it's supposed to be for traffic wardens.

Common Sense :LOL: The words "common Sense" and "councils" have no link :LOL:

Local council down this way fined some bloke for having his wheely bin lid not shut correctly , he refused to pay the fine and ended up with a criminal record :LOL: had to cancel his holiday to the USA due to having a criminal record

Where did I say I agreed with it? Stop putting words in my mouth ?

I just said the headline of the story was not the full story. As always, there was a bit more to it. just needed reading.

Where did I say I agreed with it? Stop putting words in my mouth ?

I just said the headline of the story was not the full story. As always, there was a bit more to it. just needed reading.
I said 'IF'.....
Anyway, by highlighting it at all and then using phrases such as 'above the law' it made it seem that you agreed with it.

It was the full story anyway. A jobsworth ticketed a guy for not throwing away his lunch wrappers quick enough. It doesn't matter what bag it was in really because it was clear it was his lunch wrappers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back