Norton removal. Windows 10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone one help with the above ? I go through the removal procedure and end up with a screen saying 'preparing to uninstall please wait ' 45 minutes later I'm still waiting. ! Is this normal. ?

Sponsored Links
Go onto the Norton site and download their removal tool.
It takes a bit of searching but it is there I have used it a couple of times and it works.

Windows 10 comes with really good Antivirus built in. There's no need for normal users to pay for Antivirus.

Also +1 for the Norton removal tool.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch Norton with a barge pole, and you can see why now.

Unplug the PC, take it and throw it out of the window.
Never look at it again.

There, solved. :)
Norton is the devils spawn - horrible.

Ah but, I recall, from the 1980's - Peter Norton's Utilities (made him a wealthy man) and a competitor PCTools delux from Central Point Software Inc.
These MS-DOS file managers and utility softwares made MS Dos a nicer place to be - for some of us.
Bloated and transformed nowadays - owned by Symantec.

PC Magazine Oct. 1986
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...HV9DAVkQ6AEINTAC#v=onepage&q=PC Tools&f=false
-0-

Last edited:
To be fair norton worked ok for me but I kept having trouble with the three computer package, one would suddenly tell me it had expired and I would spend an hour on line with norton to fix it! It was very power hungry in the past but did improve.

Norton may well have improved but in the past I have encountered PCs that wouldn't even boot because Norton was having a fight with itself.

Norton may well have improved but in the past I have encountered PCs that wouldn't even boot because Norton was having a fight with itself.
Yes years ago I had pc where I had to turn off norton to run a defrag!

I once found a computer where there were two AVs fighting over a single file. Somehow they got stuck in a loop copying the same 5kb file from each quarantine folder to their own.

I think one of them was Norton.

I've also seen a bad install of Symantec take out a large companies intranet at 11am every week for two months before someone looked in the right place. That was admin error though, not Symantec's fault really.

There used to be a -for a long time- a bug in the uninstall routine. After it ran, windows didn't boot, and you had to start in safe mode once to clear it.

Sponsored Links
Back