norton security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,bought new computer 3 months ago,came with 90 day trial norton,which has just expired.Ive got new one,should I install over old one,or uninstall old one first?If so what do you recommend?Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Was the old version 2007 and is the new one 2008?

new one is 2007 bought earlier in the year as three on one disc.I am not sure what would have been pre installed on new pc.

Sponsored Links
then you had better uninstall the old one completely. You can get an removal tool from the Norton website IIRC but I would have expected some instructions on how ro renew, with the trial version.

if you re-install the same version I have found it can keep the old expiry date, whereas you want to start a new 12-month period of free updates.

Thanks for the replies,have downloaded tool and removed old one.Only problem is when you buy three on one disc,second install has only 150 days left,it seems to date back to first install,because it uses same product key?Does this sound right,if so what a swindle!(first install used on laptop few months ago)So it looks as though 3rd install will expire at the same time!

edited:

If you buy a pack which includes licences for three PCs, they all expire at the same time, taken from the first install date. this should be in the documentation/terms & conditions.

Next time, a useful trick is to buy a (genuine) pack off Fleabay, from a dealer who has an overstock to shift.

When they bring out e.g. Norton 2009, all the Norton 2008 packs look obsolete and need to be shifted cheap; but they still give you 12 months of free updates, which for the Antivirus file is a good bargain. You might even be able to get an old copy of 2007 even cheaper. it is essential to get a genuine pack with an unused Product Key.

:rolleyes: Checked small print and there it was.Burk in pc world was sure it was three totally seperate installs.Thanks again..

Dont use AVG, it can be more hassle than its worth... after all its free.... what do you expect to get for free..... nothing these days...

Nortons 2008 now automaticaly uninstalls prev versions prior to installing the new version....

Dont use AVG, it can be more hassle than its worth... after all its free.... what do you expect to get for free..... nothing these days...

Nortons 2008 now automaticaly uninstalls prev versions prior to installing the new version....
Why is that??
And AVG fre version event beat Norton and McAfee in tests.

kilovolt said:
second install has only 150 days left,it seems to date back to first install,because it uses same product key?Does this sound right,if so what a swindle!
Jeez, you mean that you're not getting something for nothing? What a swiz!

MasterAbacus said:
Dont use AVG, it can be more hassle than its worth... after all its free.
So do tell - what problems have you seen that you regard as so much "hassle"?

Personally I'd be getting well rid of Norton. It's more bother than it's worth.

I run AVG Free, Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and PCTools Firewall - all free and all work fine. I've never had a problem with my computer (frantically touching wood in case I jinx myself). I run them once a day and everything is tickety boo.

i wouldn't waste any money on norton or mcafee. if you have xp or above the built in firewall is good plus use avg for free and very good anti-virus software. A lot of people also have firewalls built into their wireless routers or modems and don't realise. A hardware firewall is a lot more secure than any software firewall that norton can offer

Norton and Mcafee will also just slow your pc down

Sponsored Links
Back