norton security

I agree with not wasting time with norton, many of the client computers I go to which are "running slow" have norton installed, it causes havoc on small workgroup networks too.

I like kaspersky AV, and just use the XPSP2/Vista firewall where possible.

Sponsored Links
Kapersky is very good, but the Norton 360 is completely rewritten and is significantly less demanding on system resource than the Internet Security package. It can also be installed on 3 separate machines (not one machine 3 times!)

Buy a Mac though and you con't have to worry about any of it!!

I'm with Barsteward on this one. Norton and McAfee slow your machine down too much. They can cripple an older machine. I use AVG on slower (older) machines and on newer machines I use Avast. Both are free although you do have to register Avast to get a free licence key.
Stick to SpyBot and AdAware for spyware removal and you won't go far wrong. Avoid all others likethe plague.
If you are unlucky enough to get a rootkit infection (rare as hens teeth thankfully) the normal virus checkers won't find it but AVG do a free rootkit removal tool. I have only had to use it once on a client's PC but it did what it said on the can.

An abnormal :D virus checker...
av-153.jpg

:cool:

Cost less than 20 euro...
http://www.avira.com/en/products/avira_antivir_personaledition_premium.html
Any good? I don't know, hasn't found or intercepted anything yet.
http://www.avira.com/en/company/awards.html
:D

Sponsored Links
Softus";p="804922 said:
kilovolt said:
second install has only 150 days left,it seems to date back to first install,because it uses same product key?Does this sound right,if so what a swindle!
MasterAbacus said:
MasterAbacus"]Dont use AVG, it can be more hassle than its worth... after all its free.
So do tell - what problems have you seen that you regard as so much "hassle"?

Norton/Symantec anti-virus is a notorious resource hog- bloatware of the worst type. AVG is free, does a better job, and doesn't slow machines down. If you don't like AVG then Avast is also free and very good.

For spyware detection/removal download Spybot S&D and Adaware - both free and one will pick up anything the other misses. If you only want one, I'd recommend Spybot S&D.

If you want a rootkit detector/removal tool, then AVG do a good one that's free.

For personal firewalls, Comodo is excellent and - guess what? Free. So is Kerio/Sunbelt.

kilovolt said:
second install has only 150 days left,it seems to date back to first install,because it uses same product key?Does this sound right,if so what a swindle!
MasterAbacus said:
MasterAbacus"]Dont use AVG, it can be more hassle than its worth... after all its free.
So do tell - what problems have you seen that you regard as so much "hassle"?
I'm sorry kilovolt, but I don't get your point here.

NortonShiteSuite and MCrapee are AWFUL.

You want to use

ESET NOD 32 for home use, as it a nice hueristic scanner and does not slow machine down nd can update as much as everyhour and you will NOT notice it.

KASPERSKY, uses a bit more processor power than NOD32 but is just as good.

When ever any friend/family buy a new machine, ( specially dell or branded ) i strip it down and wipe everything and reinstall WIN XP Pro ( vista is **** till its stable in 2 years time ) and load eset.

do u ever wonder WHY a lot of these *FREE* firewalls and AV products are actually FREE ?

Yes course they will work.. but they are also potential back-doors.

I work in the AV Field.

Sponsored Links
Back