Norway says no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, if the UK had defined that as its desired outcome, it could have tried that in negotiations.

If that was the aim of the Leave campaign, would you ever in a million years have voted Leave?

Sponsored Links
And apparently that is what quitters hate the most about our current arrangements,

I dont think that is entirely fair.

Many leavers are concerned about immigration levels. They have been mislead by government and the leave campaign, so they often blame freedom of movement.

I think its disgusting the toxic environment around immigration, fuelled by successive governments and especially this government. Theresa May should have said on day 1; the three million will get the same status as UK citizens. Not settled status only agreed 2 or so years after and a heap of red tape to jump through.

The vast majority of leavers and remainers are decent people, but divide and rule is the greatest success of Brexit.

The reality is the voting public have been treated like mushrooms (kept in dark, fed on shoite).

Sponsored Links
You are completely missing the point.

People who voted to leave have got exactly what they voted for because what they were asked was a very simple, unqualified question with no options regarding details.

The reality is that it was anything but a very simple issue, and the details were of vital importance. Reality, as is its wont, does not go away just because people refuse to admit that it exists.

As soon as someone ticked the leave box on the ballot paper they were saying that this is what they wanted. They did not ask to be given any options. They did not ask that negotiations with the EU should take place before triggering Article 50. They did not ask the government to establish any alternative deals to choose between and then to find out which one was the will of the people. So it's a bit late now for them to complain that they don't like the result.

Let's be honest - you just don't like the fact that you cannot deny reality.

:LOL: :LOL: Like u had a scooby doo bout any of it :LOL:

Is you partner husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend and what’s their country?

I have no reason to ask, just curious. I imagine wife and Sweden?

Take a flying guess, Iceland. pop 300k, still good enough to knock England outta the 2016 euros i guess.

we could not make arrangements 3 years ago

I didn't say we should. I said that the people who wanted to leave should have started the process of agreeing among themselves what outcome they wanted.

Perhaps they would have managed to decide by now

Who knows.

As it is, they're just a squabbling shambles.

As you know, people who can't decide what to ask for, are unlikely to get what they want.

I dont think that is entirely fair.

Many leavers are concerned about immigration levels. They have been mislead by government and the leave campaign, so they often blame freedom of movement.

I think its disgusting the toxic environment around immigration, fuelled by successive governments and especially this government. Theresa May should have said on day 1; the three million will get the same status as UK citizens. Not settled status only agreed 2 or so years after and a heap of red tape to jump through.

The vast majority of leavers and remainers are decent people, but divide and rule is the greatest success of Brexit.

The reality is the voting public have been treated like mushrooms (kept in dark, fed on shoite).
Some of us ain't shrooms though ;)

But I guess what most people don't understand is this - there is no such thing as 'same status as UK citizens' when families consist of more than one European nationality...

Having been here for nearly 3 decades, my partner can only get immediate healthcare in her own country via her UK EHIC card, the same as me.
(residency rules, which will also apply to UK 'ex-pats' returning here)

Were we to/when we do move back there for over two years (under the current proposals without EHIC) then she would 'regain' her cover there after 12 months (but I would not), but then not be entitled to healthcare in the UK. However she would then be entitled to healthcare across the EU/EEA due to her nationality, but again I would not.

Any children would be ok across the whole EU/EEA/UK area (due to dual nationality), but as a family if we didn't have private health insurance (with the obvious huge cost) we wouldn't be able to live in one place together, except if all of us were permanently bound to the UK and not spend more than 2 years out of the country given that she would have to re-apply to 'regain' her legal right to remain after that period!

That is just an example of the problems faced, but the same applies to pensions etc - so the 'small print' of the so-called deal spells misery for millions of people...
Those of us now, but also generations to come!

And for what?

So the Norway model is a non-starter because of that old bug bear - freedom of movement!

...Theresa May should have said on day 1; the three million will get the same status as UK citizens. Not settled status only agreed 2 or so years after and a heap of red tape to jump through...

I've seen it suggested that the slow, grudging, reluctant granting of rights to foreigners was to appease her anti-foreigner fanbase.

It has done nothing to encourage feelings of friendly co-operation among the 27, though. Nor among any of the foreigners we might need here as valued and skilled workers, or doing the **** jobs Brits won't do.

Perhaps she feels she's got enough friends and doesn't need any more.

You mean the same Theresa May that was in charge of the Home Office when the "hostile to immigrants" atmosphere was created, the TM that arranged for adverts telling immigrants to go home, the TM that was in charge and must have known about the Windrush generation? The TM that was in charge of the immigration target and repeatedly and woefully failed to get anywhere near, but wouldn't reconsider it?
She was responsible for a whole heap of a mess while Home Sec, and is now responsible for a whole heap of a mess as PM!

That is some record!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back