Not 100% lintel is adequate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post so thanks in advance for any help

i ordered a few intels and im not 100% on 2 of them..

its an 1800 opening on half of a gable end.. the other half is next doors.. the wall itself was built after next doors so is only tied in..

lintel is 2100 x 100 x 65

my half is 2.5m wide 3.8 at the heighest point and around 2.5 at the eaves lintel is in at 2.2m above ground.

Theres not a great deal above it and it does not carry the weight of the roof.

Could anyone shed any light on this..

Sorry if thats not very clear..

Sponsored Links
You "ordered a few lintels" on what basis?

To us, the reader, your gable might carry floor and ceiling joists and ridge and purlin weight. Plus a semi-removed chimney breast might be hanging up there? But how are we to know?

There's also some issue, that i dont understand, ref your neighbour's gable.

Perhaps you would post a few pics and it would help.

appologies.

I deleted alot of my post to try to make it an easier read and somehow missed an important part of it. :oops:

it is the end wall of the kitchen and is single storey. there is not other load imposed. no celing joists, no floor joists. the lintel in question is for a set of double doors.

the neighbouring property was originally built longer than mine but they are now the same length

if it wasnt dark id go and take a picture :(

Thank you for taking the time to reply :D

Gable masonry can impose a greater load on a lintel than 'regular' self-arching masonry.

You need to seek pro' advice or get some piccies up pronto.

Sponsored Links
lintel is 2100 x 100 x 65

If that is a pre-cast concrete lintel, you are right to be concerned.
Even allowing for bearings, that is a long span; if it is a concrete lintel,
it is meant to be built-in, not used to span a new opening in a breakthrough.

Personally, I wouldn't have used a lintel like that on such a wide span because lintels of that type can be unpredictable.
But you could well be OK - why not check up on loadings in the manufacturers' literature?

My heads in bits at the minute through the stress of it lol.. that n the fact im using my mobile because im still waiting for my broadband to be installed makes it even more stressful.. ill try to look over the literature available tonight.

Im stuck at that stage until i can find out.. i was hoping to have it completed at thr weekend but in now wondering whether to take it back out n go bigger.. i didnt ask for it that small and to be honest i was shocked they made them at that size.. im guessing the load would be ok just its not really spread evenly along its length and i dont really know how much of a factor that is

Thanks for taking the time to reply..

Ive been a member of a few forums like this one and it always suprises me at how helpful some people can be and also how addictive they can become lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back