Not all spotlights coming on - overload problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just installed 3 GU5.3 12v 35w spotlights in the bathroom, but i can only get two to work at a time.

They are all connected to the same transformer which has 3 x 60vA outputs. I assumed that this meant I could put a single light on each pair, but as soon as i switch them on, they only have a very slight glow and the overload LED comes on.

When i remove anyone of the three pairs, the other two spring into life. If i then put that pair back in (while live), all three stay on. I am assuming that there isn't enough power to start all three from 'cold'.

The other thing is that I only measure 6v coming from any of the output terminal pairs. Could this be a transformer problem, or a supply problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the transformer part of a set with the lights, or did you buy separately?

You need a bigger range on your transformer - but I think you have already worked that one out.
If its the Halolite 60vA then they suggest 35w lamp per transformer.
I always fit one tranformer per lamp - avoids losing all the lamps when the tranformer goes.

Sponsored Links
That was what i thought, but doesn't 3 x 60va mean i can put a 35w light on each of the 3 sets of terminals?

the instructions clearly state 60w max per pair. Ive added a photo to an album on here if you can see it

hang on, it says up to transformer max. So that means all three can take 60w but must also add up to 60w as well. Right?

View media item 43515
60 max means any combination up to 60

an example would be three 20s daisy chained from one terminal pair and not using the other outputs

or one 20 from each terminal pair

Its a standard drawing used for up to a 180 va transformer 3x 60

You need three transformers or one that has a range between 40/200w say.

Yes that's much clearer now. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll pick up some more transformers tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back