Not hot water or central heating! Vokera 20-80 Flowmatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know nothing about boilers, so please forgive me if i am asking some silly questions or my explanations are not detailed enough.....

We noticed that the hot water was taking longer than normal to come through over a period of a couple of weeks, now we do not get any at all! (well very occasionaly it does work but we only have hot water for about 1 minute)
I just tried the central heating and that does not work either.
We have a vokera 20-80 flowmatic boiler, when the hot tap or heating is switched on the boiler makes all the right nosies, but to me seems like it does not ignite (no whooshing sound). The pilot light is on and the water pressure is ok.

As previoulsy mentioned i know nothing about boilers but I am a Hydraulics engineer, so i do not mind having a go myself - if only i knew where to start.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated (especialy as my wife is starting to nag!)

thanks in Advance

Martyn

Sponsored Links
Kev,

thanks for your reply.

How do i know if the pump is running? what should i check? i have tried to look at the boiler but cannot see any acesess into it, to check anything.

thanks in advance

Martyn

Just as an after thought:

Sorry if this is a question that gets asked all the time, please belive me when i say that i have scoured the forums but i cannot find a solution!

Martyn

Sponsored Links
place a screwdriver tip on the pump and apply your ear to the handle failing that undo the big silver screw and see is the shaft is turning :D

oops :oops: just re read your post they usually hinge from the bottom of the control panel if you look at the top somewhere there should be a couple of screws :D

Kev,

Thanks again.

trying not to sound to stupid here, but i cant even see the pump or get to it, i cant even see what i need to take off to gain acsess :( .

Arrgh!

Martyn

right forgive me if i sound patronising
the control panel is the bit with the switches flashing lights etc on at the top of said panel somewhere will be two screws undo them and the panel hinges down then you can see the guts i assume :oops: you know what the pump looks like?

Okay,

right, unscrewed the panel which is underneath, i can now see up into the boiler.
to my right i can see a component that has a pin type thing that moves in when the heating is turned on. To my left i can see what i am assuming is the pump - two pipe connections, one labled "hot" water the other "cold" water (cold water has a tap like valve on it) also some sort of limit switch type thing at the front of the component. Also the pump has what looks like a thermocouple wire emitting from it to, possible the temp gauge.

i would say that this is not running when the heating/ hot water is switched on

thanks inadvance Kev,

Martyn

Ok, have studied this in a little more detail now.
The component to my right with the pin type bit moves in when the heating is switched on. The componet to the left (which i think is may be the pump?) has a pin that moves out when the hot water is turned on and presses the limit switch.

Still not 100% sure if i have correctly identifed the pump :confused:

Any and all suggestions are appreciated

Martyn

from your description i would think you are looking at the diverter valve
you need to open the front somehow to see the pump
com to left flow switch com to right div valve
if the pins are moving its a good sign
is the fan running ? please bear with me its not easy fault finding when the boiler is in front of you :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back