Not normal Meter Tails, Concentric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So I am doing a large renovation project on a 1890's cottage up here in Scotland. I have been gutting the place, going to be installing central heating, and having a full rewire, etc.

Now I am installing Internal Wall insulation, and before I cover the wall that backs onto the meter cab, I wondered if it is worth popping in some new meter tails, before sealing. Looking in the cab, I see two black cables going out, I guess one is for the E7 and one for standard rate. I plan to get the E7 removed, and I have removed all the storage heaters already.

Now last time I did a sim project I just popped in some 25mm takes, ready for connection later. These back cables seem smaller than what I am used to.

Also any idea what type of supply this is? is it TNCS?

Sponsored Links
Looks like TNC-S with split con going away to the two boards. Unusual to have split con after the meter. What is the distance to the consumer unit(s)?

The current boards are directly behind this cab, about 3m in total I would say, 2m up the wall and about 600mm solid stone wall, they run up the wall inside the house, I found them when removing plaster and old lap.

Is that a typical modern e7 install?

So that 2nd supply is switched on and off?
What's the other tail? Thought it would be for a contactor.

Sponsored Links
Can't tell on the earthing without taking to cover off the cut-out so I would suggest you ask the DNO

No idea about the other tail, have not removed CU board covers yet to see what we have.

What I have found is loads of old rubber cable still in use, looks like a partial upgrade to PVC in some places, im going to lay in whole new rewire, for sure, while I got all stud walls exposed, and floors up, it is easy to pull in new rings, etc.

There are 3 boards inside, main board with standard items on, a 2nd board with all the storage heaters, and a 3rd with water heater and electric shower on, the owner told me they are also on the low rate.

I think it is something like Total Heat Total Control, hence two meters, one for general use, and a dual-tariff meter for the heating and hot water circuits.

Looks like TNC-S with split con going away to the two boards. Unusual to have split con after the meter. What is the distance to the consumer unit(s)?
We have split concentric not quite from the meter but from a fuse-switch (or is it switch-fuse?) in the meter cabinet. Ours goes separate tails from cut-out to to meter, separate tails from meter to switch then concentric to make it's way to the CU in the house.

Maybe normal practice in rural NE Scotland? Is this cottage served by it's own transformer from overhead 11kV?

We have split concentric not quite from the meter but from a fuse-switch (or is it switch-fuse?) in the meter cabinet. Ours goes separate tails from cut-out to to meter, separate tails from meter to switch then concentric to make it's way to the CU in the house.

Maybe normal practice in rural NE Scotland? Is this cottage served by it's own transformer from overhead 11kV?

Hi,

Yes it has it's own transformer from 11kv line, only this cottage serviced from said transformer, farm down the road have there own also. No one else around. I want to get a isolator added also, so going to be nice to the meter man with tea and cake, lol

... before I cover the wall that backs onto the meter cab, I wondered if it is worth popping in some new meter tails, before sealing. ..

do you mean you are thinking of boarding over the cables and concealing them?

don't.

What do you mean? They are already between the solid sone wall and the internal stud work wall built infront on the uneven stone wall. I am installing internal wall insulation so not much way I can avoid it.

Sure the Mrs will not let me leave a gaping hole in the hallway wall.

a read of this thread would suggest that in this case with similar circumstances earthing is TN-S

So is it ok to leave the current concentric in for connection to new CU?

Main fuse is 100A they just seem rather thin compared to 25mm tails I usually use.

Thanks, they seem to have sleeved the concentric cable at the meter, is that normal? I guess it is split concentric cable then? Equ to 25mm tails?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back