Not plumbing, but I am a plumber. Advice needed.

If you are working in a house alone and the owners fourteen year old daughter comes home alone, leave promptly.
Is that good policy to protect yourself against any lies?

I kinda get the point that you are making but would you walk away from the bus stop if there was only one other person waiting for a bus, ie a young girl, for the same reason?

That said, if a 14 year old starts making overtures towards you, then sure, runaway as fast as you can. How did you explain your absence to the client?

Sponsored Links
I knocked on a customers door the other day,guy in his 60's answered the door in a pair of bright orange boxer shorts! Rofl ....takes alsorts.

I kinda get the point that you are making but would you walk away from the bus stop if there was only one other person waiting for a bus, ie a young girl, for the same reason?

That said, if a 14 year old starts making overtures towards you, then sure, runaway as fast as you can. How did you explain your absence to the client?
Run away??? Makes you look even dodgier.How about just stop worrying about 1 in a billion scenarios,about as likely as being hit by a meteorite.

Just to add to this post (and it may add more talk).
I was working in a fireplace and heard some sniggering.
I switch off my radio and look for someone, nothing!
I look around and see an iPhone recording ME, with two suckers on back of it. I switch it off and look around. Walk into hall and kid walks downstairs and says "have you seen my phone?". I say no, pack up and leave.
If I tell the mother you can bet the kid will start a flurry of lies about the afternoon. She might even invent a story about a sex pest plumber in the house!?
I have abandoned this job because it's a no win situation.

Sponsored Links
Run away??? Makes you look even dodgier.How about just stop worrying about 1 in a billion scenarios,about as likely as being hit by a meteorite.

I didn't mean literally "run away".

And given that I have never been in that situation, it is not something that I have ever worried about.

I often had builders in on their own over the spring and summer. It was either that or not get the work done.
When my son started secondary school I told them he'd be home at 3pm, and they were out straight away. I guess they stick with this policy, not wanting to be responsible for an 11 year old in the house etc.

I suppose an accusation of theft that you can defend yourself against is better than a rumour of being a thief that you don't hear about until months later.
Good reputations can be destroyed much quicker than they can be made, and that's just verbal gossip I'm on about.
The t'interweb and 'social' media have the potential to spread bad news like wildfire.

Only ever had one 'accusation' of inpropriety from a twenty year-old girl, luckily her mother told me about it, and explained her daughter was a heroine addict, and she believed my story. Mother was mortified and apologetic.

I often had builders in on their own over the spring and summer. It was either that or not get the work done.
When my son started secondary school I told them he'd be home at 3pm, and they were out straight away. I guess they stick with this policy, not wanting to be responsible for an 11 year old in the house etc.

Builders? A lot of pubs now don't open at lunchtime, preferring to open at 3pm till closing.................................

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back