Not plumbing, but I am a plumber. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are working in a house alone and the owners fourteen year old daughter comes home alone, leave promptly.
Is that good policy to protect yourself against any lies?

Sponsored Links
The fact your working in the home alone is surely bad enough? If something goes missing or breaks even if it wasn’t you it could be blamed on you.

Someone should always be home and someone over 18 simple rules.

I think working in a property without the owner present happens millions of times around the country every day.
If a child appears out of the blue, then I'm taking no blame but packing up immediately.
This child I mentioned wasn't the wonderful young person you think and that's why I confer with other tradesmen on the subject.

The fact your working in the home alone is surely bad enough? If something goes missing or breaks even if it wasn’t you it could be blamed on you.

You wouldn't last long in plumbing or any other trade if you refused to work alone in people's houses. It's a regular occurrence for customers who are out at work to give me their keys in advance so I can go round at a future date to work on my own. Other times they let me in in the morning and go out, telling me to close front door when finished.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't last long in plumbing or any other trade if you refused to work alone in people's houses. It's a regular occurrence for customers who are out at work to give me their keys in advance so I can go round at a future date to work on my own. Other times they let me in in the morning and go out, telling me to close front door when finished.

You wouldn’t last long in jail accused of touching a 14 year old girl if you know what I mean :LOL:

On a serious note I do get what you mean but in this day and age there are so many people out to get you.

What do you do when you work alone in someone’s house and later that evening the police knock at your door for theft? The customer has said you have stolen some jewellery from their house.

Or they accuse you of breaking their TV because when they got home it does not work and you was the only one in?

Not even worth getting into that situation.

The flip side for home owners most insurers won’t cover people being left alone in your house if a builder or trades person steals or damages. I would leave no one alone in my house.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t last long in jail accused of touching a 14 year old girl if you know what I mean :LOL:

On a serious note I do get what you mean but in this day and age there are so many people out to get you.

What do you do when you work alone in someone’s house and later that evening the police knock at your door for theft? The customer has said you have stolen some jewellery from their house.

Or they accuse you of breaking their TV because when they got home it does not work and you was the only one in?

Not even worth getting into that situation.

For many eventualities, my liability insurance would cover me. However, the trouble is, we could sit here all day thinking about what ifs. Life is fully of risk. We either stay in bed all day, or just get on with it.

Unfortunately, no insurance will cover against jail bate teen girls. (y)

For many eventualities, my liability insurance would cover me. However, the trouble is, we could sit here all day thinking about what ifs. Life is fully of risk. We either stay in bed all day, or just get on with it.

Unfortunately, no insurance will cover against jail bate teen girls. (y)
I think you need to be more choosy about the quality of your customers.

I am a plumber, two examples of recent events:

In the heat of the summer, I'm greeted at the door by a stunning 16(ish) yr old wearing barely anything, do I let my eyes stray? No, just do the job.

Today, I'm greeted by a hideously scrawny, ugly 50 yr old who thinks she's pretty, and she's got her t*ts hanging out, me?, I just smile and get on with my job cos she isn't in the same league as my girlfriend:D

14 year old daughter, 14 year old son, 86 year old granny or 40 year old cat lady, any one of them could accuse you of anything that's just life. I've only ever been accused once of stealing money by an oap but she phoned the office the next day when she remembered she hadn't been to the post office to collect it because she had the gasman round.

Sign of the times eh! I even get nervous when I have to remove undercrackers from a radiator or airing cupboard :confused: do you...

A) Discard them onto the floor or bed like any old bit of cloth?

B) set them aside in a neat pile and leave for owner to sort later?

C) Attempt to return them to exact arrangement and position once work completed?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Over the years, I have blindly pulled out all sorts of surprise "items" from various locations... even with customer standing right behind me.

Best one ever was whilst fishing about in a hatch in the floor, feeling for pipes, I pulled out a rather large "toy" (shall we say), just as rather posh, lady of the house arrived with tray full of tea and biccies...
"That's not mine! " she declared;
"well, it's not mine!" said I.
She then went very red and left the room.
:ROFLMAO:

Then there was the bloke with the thongs... But that's a story for another day :LOL:

I had to fix a faulty toilet cistern, in the cistern was a spray bottle for 'longer lasting erections'. I told the householder that the toilet was fixed and she asked me what was wrong. When I held up the spray bottle, her face was a picture.

I was also called to a basement flat for a leak and they had a coffin standing in the corner (they were goths) I didn't feel comfortable in that place.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Sign of the times eh! I even get nervous when I have to remove undercrackers from a radiator or airing cupboard :confused: do you...

A) Discard them onto the floor or bed like any old bit of cloth?

B) set them aside in a neat pile and leave for owner to sort later?

C) Attempt to return them to exact arrangement and position once work completed?

D) Add to collection? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back