Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am 46 years old & have completed a 2 year collage course in plumbing. I am willing to work for free 1 or 2 days a week, but am finding it impossible to find a plumber willing to take me on. I need this to gain confidence & experience.
Any ideas why this should be such a problem ?.

Sponsored Links
in the present economic climate you will find that people are unwilling to train people
that might end up being the competition when there is an upturn in the market

i however don't mind as long as you pay my fixed fee per job and any parts that may be required

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

had an attack of the glaziers there ;)

Sponsored Links
in a market where everyone is feeling the pinch you wonder why no one would want the prospect of training a future competitor.

roll yer sleeves up, put an add in the paper and get yer hands dirty. Work for friends, do your own bathroom and when your old and successful you can look back and pat yourself on the back and say you did it all yourself.

if youve done a two year course they youve covered your c&g and know more than those who have been on the plumbing training courses you can do in 8 weeks

he is already old ;)

i get a couple of letters a week asking to take someone on for experience, usually by a 16year old who if they were anything like me would spend half there time texing and missing monday mornings with a hangover. i used to reply to them saying sorry but as a relatively newly qualified RGI i think it would be better if they went elsewhere, not a single one aknowledged that i had text so i now just throw letters in the bin.

I am willing to work for free 1 or 2 days a week

Does this mean you're only actually available to work for one or two days a week or you're prepared to only be paid three days out of five? If it's the former then that's your problem right there - no commitment.

Either way it's absolutely the wrong time to be looking for a work placement at the moment, as has been mentioned the recession means that everyone's struggling anyway without having the expense of an apprentice who will inevitably make mistakes and cost money during his first few months.

if someone was happy to work for free , I'd take them on for the odd day here and there. They get experience I get work done quicker. If they were half decent and useful I'd probably bung them a few quid as well. Don't see a problem with it. Competition....pah! There is none :LOL: :LOL:

OK I have never done this before, so I am unsure, but to reply to some comments.
Yes I am old but have 19 years of my working life to go. To the " no commitment comment". Would you at 43 years old, take on a course 2 nights a week for 2 years, 3 hours a night, then go onto do a nightshift straight after for 9 hours, I did.

I can fit 2 days non paid plumbing around my job(I have mortgage, family etc), I expect no pay at all for this.

If anymore of you hard working folk want to put me down, maybe you should look at how much of your hard earned cash goes to those sitting on their fat ****, thinking the world owes them a living, at least Im trying.
I am based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK.

OK I have never done this before, so I am unsure, but to reply to some comments.
Yes I am old but have 19 years of my working life to go. To the " no commitment comment". Would you at 43 years old, take on a course 2 nights a week for 2 years, 3 hours a night, then go onto do a nightshift straight after for 9 hours, I did.

I can fit 2 days non paid plumbing around my job(I have mortgage, family etc), I expect no pay at all for this.

If anymore of you hard working folk want to put me down, maybe you should look at how much of your hard earned cash goes to those sitting on their fat ****, thinking the world owes them a living, at least Im trying.
I am based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, UK.

i am old so

would i take on a course like that dunno never had to was to busy doing 14 hour nights
my kids are up
my wife had the sense to divorce me
so i buggered off here

you don't do yourself any favours fella

what you have to see is your a liability to anybody

most of the crap you learn in a college ain't worth jack in the real world

now if you want to spit your dummy feel free

but thats how it is :idea:

you are asking for a favour :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back