Not quite like for like swaps, kitchens and part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Contemplating life recently, I realised that the metal cased class 1 waste disposal unit under the kitchen sink is not RCD protected given that the kitchen ring as a whole is not. This had me thinking that given its intimate contact with water and earthed pipework, and that users will by necessity have wet hands etc, I'd like to provide some RCD protection to it. Since it's supplied from its own fused spur, I propose to swap this for an RCD fused spur.

My question is this, am I allowed to DIY this under part P? I read it as fitting within 1 (a), as I'm replacing some fixed equipment without touching any cabling. Am I correct?

Tim

Sponsored Links
My question is this, am I allowed to DIY this under part P?

You're allowed to DIY any electrical work. It's just that some things are notifiable to the local authority and some are not.

I read it as fitting within 1 (a), as I'm replacing some fixed equipment without touching any cabling. Am I correct?

I would say so. The term "like for like" replacement seems to be thrown around quite a lot, but the regulations don't actually make any such stipulation and refer only to replacements. So you are replacing a switched fused connection unit with a switched fused connection unit with integral RCD. I'd say that's covered by 1(a), and thus not notifiable.

You're allowed to DIY any electrical work. It's just that some things are notifiable to the local authority and some are not.

Yep, it was the notification issue I was getting at not entirely clear on my part.

I would say so. The term "like for like" replacement seems to be thrown around quite a lot, but the regulations don't actually make any such stipulation and refer only to replacements. So you are replacing a switched fused connection unit with a switched fused connection unit with integral RCD. I'd say that's covered by 1(a), and thus not notifiable.

Thanks, what I was hoping to hear ;)

Sponsored Links
My question is this, am I allowed to DIY this under part P? I read it as fitting within 1 (a), as I'm replacing some fixed equipment without touching any cabling. Am I correct?

Tim
I agree with Paul_C, not notifiable. The issue will revolve around whether the characteristics of the circuit have been altered.
But it might be worth giving the your Local Authority Building Control a call just to double check- they are normally very helpful.

The issue will revolve around whether the characteristics of the circuit have been altered.

Are you thinking of the Schedule 4 "circuit protective measures" references? They don't apply to an exemption under 1(a).

But it might be worth giving the your Local Authority Building Control a call just to double check- they are normally very helpful.

Or they might try to tell you that something is notifiable when the regulations clearly state that it isn't, since they often don't seem to know the regulations themselves (or they know them but will try to ignore them anyway).

The issue will revolve around whether the characteristics of the circuit have been altered.
Are you thinking of the Schedule 4 "circuit protective measures" references? They don't apply to an exemption under 1(a).
I was thinking of this schedule but focusing on 1 (c) where the replacement of a socket for an RCD protected socket could be construed as meeting this requirement.

[Or they might try to tell you that something is notifiable when the regulations clearly state that it isn't, since they often don't seem to know the regulations themselves (or they know them but will try to ignore them anyway).
Dealt with them directly for years before getting registered, never had a problem with them. They were both knowledgeable and helpful.

Dealt with them directly for years before getting registered, never had a problem with them. They were both knowledgeable and helpful.
Fair enough. Unfortunately, it's clear that many local authorities are neither.

I was thinking of this schedule but focusing on 1 (c) where the replacement of a socket for an RCD protected socket could be construed as meeting this requirement.

I'm not following your line of reasoning: 1(c) refers to replacing enclosures. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back