part p and kitchens

ogc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i will be refitting my kitchen very shortly and want to know if i can do the electrical work myself.

i will be extending the lighting circuit and adding a switched fused spur for a new dishwasher.

what are my options? with regards to part p.

cheers

o

Sponsored Links
You can do the work yourself if you want to.

According to the Building Regulations you should notify your LABC in advance. You need to go to their website, and see what their particular requirements/fees/procedures are.....

How extensive is your "refit" - will the room at some point no longer be a kitchen?

no,
it will still be a kitchen.
just replacing old for new and extending the ring to supply power for the dishwasher and putting a few downlights in.

thanks.

o

OK - just thought it might be the case that you'd be ripping out an entire fitted kitchen, and that for a short while it would be an empty room....

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
OK - just thought it might be the case that you'd be ripping out an entire fitted kitchen, and that for a short while it would be an empty room....

sneaky :p

of course...

is exactly what is happening. ;)

Adam_151 said:
ban-all-sheds said:

sneaky :p
Yes, and completely against the spirit of the legislation, however the lawmakers took it upon themselves to make a kitchen a "special location" when BS7671 didn't see the need for such a classification, and they did so unreasonably and out of bias, so as far as I'm concerned they can go and......

A "kitchen" is defined as a room with a sink and food preparation facilities.

If you remove those items from a room, it is therefore no longer a kitchen. If it is not a kitchen, then extending lighting and socket circuits is not notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back