Part P - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of redecorating my Kitchen and it involves some Electric work see below:-

1). Taking a spur off the ring Main in two points and putting in new double sockets.

2). Sinking in a exsisting Cooker point and socket level with the wall.

3). Taking a Light switch from a already modified point and returning it to it's origonal place.

4). Taking out 2 double sockets under a worktop and moving them above worktop level.

I today phoned my Local council to get a price for them to pass the work off under "Part P" (£100 + VAT) only to be told that, as i was not adding any new circuits, only spurs, a "Part P" inspection was not req'd. I was suprised to hear this.

Can someone confirm this?

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that makes about much sense as a chocolate firegaurd. How in the world do you guys work around this junk?

I have E-mailed them for a response to my Questions.

Await the answer now.

Qedelec said:
http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partpknow.html

You decide.

unless: the proposed work is minor, and it is not in a kitchen or in an area classified as a special installation or location.

This to me says that if the work is minor and in a kitchen, it is notifiable.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Qedelec said:
http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partpknow.html

You decide.

unless: the proposed work is minor, and it is not in a kitchen or in an area classified as a special installation or location.

This to me says that if the work is minor and in a kitchen, it is notifiable.

Agree,

But by ringing my council and telling them what i'm going to do - have i notified the right people?

Get yourself registered, notify them on line £1.50 a time. Then they can ignore it if they want to, but you will have fulfilled your end.

Greg, call them again, explain that the work is in the kitchen and you believe it to be notifiable. If they still insist that it isn't, get it in writing. Then you've taken all reasonable steps to notify the work and you have proof for the future.

(Obviously you should still test and issue yourself with the relevant certificates.)

dingbat said:
Greg, call them again, explain that the work is in the kitchen and you believe it to be notifiable. If they still insist that it isn't, get it in writing. Then you've taken all reasonable steps to notify the work and you have proof for the future.

(Obviously you should still test and issue yourself with the relevant certificates.)

Take it you mean call the council again and get it in writing from them?

OK, so how do i test and issue myself with the relavent certs as i'm just a householder?

Sorry for asking so many questions but do not want to break the law.

You could always ask them for an application form, be a bit vague about quite what you're doing, then complete and send it in with your plans and cheque. Then they will have to respond in writing to your particular case instead of fobbing you off on the phone.

BTW my council only charges £60 for electrical part P, this is a combined application/plan review/inspect/test fee which I think is very reasonable (though they have some other faults).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back